Off-Plattform SQLite

Currently doing the Data Science Path - but am a bit irritated by the lack of information that comes with the “Go Off-Plattform with SQL” part. Can anyone further explore on the following questions or reference me to good background information on the topics:

• Why do we need Git Bash? Is it just a tool to send commands to SQLite?
  • Is the DB Browser an alternativ to Git Bash? Or is it something completely different? (I just read about others recommending DB Browner instead)
  • Why do I need something like the DB Browser (to organize commands) to begin with? Or better stated: Why is this “feature” not incorporated in SQlite? (Yeah, I do not quite get how all of the things are interwined)
  • The instructions on Codeacademy state " Download the sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3200100.zip file and unzip it" but there is no such file on die sqlite download website. I guess the file on the download page is a newer version (sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3310100.zip) and the Codeacademy page is not quite up to date?

Big thanks in advance!

Hi @micro1106492109, welcome to the forums!

I’m nearly done putting together a couple of blog posts providing guidance on this issue for newcomers, as I see this come up more and more frequently on the forums and I — like yourself — am less than pleased with Codecademy’s information in this particular area. For now, I’ll do my best to answer your questions here.

You absolutely do not need Git Bash to use SQLite unless you want to use Bash on your Windows computer. All you need is a terminal of some kind. However, the command line interface is not the best way to interact with SQLite if you are exploring data. I usually use either Python/Jupyter notebooks, VS Code or DB Browser to explore a SQLite database, but there are numerous other ways as well.

No, it is not an alternative to Git Bash. Git Bash provides a Bash shell terminal on Windows, while DB Browser is a GUI program for interacting with SQLite specifically.

You do not need DB Browser if you don’t want it. You can interact with SQLite directly from the command line or in any of the ways I mentioned above. DB Browser is simply the easiest way for a beginner to get set up to practice SQL on their own computer as it is mostly point-and-click, but with the option to write your own SQL queries if you choose.

You are correct here, the Codecademy article was written prior to the most recent version of SQLite being released. The current download file is sqlite-tools-win32-x86-3310100.zip

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Thank you very much for clarifying!
Let us know when you posted your posts :slight_smile:

Hi,

If the command line interface is not the best way to interact with SQLite, Why are we being asked to start working with gitbash?

I have found this really stage very confusing I have been following the datascience path. And we went from just using the web to practice to being asked to install git bash and use command line interface (something that we have not been taught to use at all). While it was not super complex it came out of nowhere (especially if there is a better way to use SQLITE)

Further, in the video explaining how to proceed with the installation the instructor does not use gitbash based on personal preference (what is the point of recommending one program if you don´t ask the instructor to use it). To add to my frustration the way to add a path to easily access SQLite taught in the video only works for CMD not for Gitbash.

@raimundomiralles7720,

Since I don’t work for Codecademy I’d have to speculate. But, I think it’s a fair guess that they are trying to introduce students to command line use since if you want to do any decent amount of programming you should be comfortable navigating the command line and working with CLIs. Also, every computer has some command line terminal so there is minimal software installation using this option.

I agree and I felt your frustration when I went through the SQL course a few years back. It’s not cohesive at all, and while I understand the logic behind it I think it’s a questionable decision to throw the SQLite CLI into the curriculum the way they did. I think it would have made more sense to have this article in the Data Science path instead.

100 percent agree here.

So I haven’t personally verified this, but if this is true it is likely an honest mistake since there are two version of Cmder, one of which includes all the git-for-windows functionality. It may be the case that since Cmder Full includes git-for-windows functionality, the instructor believed that the two could both be set up by adding the sqlite3 executable to the Windows path like he did in the video. If that doesn’t work for Git Bash, it is probably because Cmder is built on ConEmu and Clink, whereas Git Bash defaults to using the mintty terminal and thus may not recognize your normal Windows path automatically.

That being said, if you follow the written instructions above the video, it works perfectly (other than the file name which is not up to date). Notice in these instructions, you add an alias to the .bashrc file and not the Windows path:

Hi, I’m also super confused on how to use SQLite off platform :thinking: . I’m on a mac.
In the course we are just told to download it and access it from the terminal, and yes that worked, it’s installed, but now what? Am I running the commands inside the terminal? And if so where do I see the results? Am I suppose to download some GUI to support this or what should I do? The amount of information provided by codecademy here is really not sufficient.

I’ve googled and there seems to be a lot of consoles around, most for mySQL that is apparently another type of SQL language, but I’m still confused on what to do. R for example, comes with it’s own console and works from there, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here. I tried creating tables in the terminal window after installing SQLite (after the sqlite prompt but it just returns errors). And even if this is possible is there another more user friendly way to go about this? Thanks!

EDIT: ok so I found a guy who explained in a neat way how to use sql in the terminal, might as well share it here : link to youtube

But I still wonder if there’s a more user friendly way to do it, I would like to see the results separately like at codecademy, and in general something with more overview and usability…

@claraii,

Yes, you can do pretty much anything with SQLite in the terminal. However, I find it hard to actually explore data in the terminal, as it is not presented in a visually appealing manner. As I mentioned above, there are multiple ways to interact with SQLite and it’s all about preference. If you’re just starting out, though, DB Browser is a great way to go.

Here is a link to the Codecademy video for how to set it up:

I also linked to the original article containing this video in my response above.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Great thanks! DB browser looks good so far so I’ll try that out :slight_smile:

Also a newbie here with a few follow up questions:

1. Do you need to already have SQLite installed to run DB browser or does DB Browser come with a version of SQLite built-in?

2. If #1 above is not true, how does DB browser “know” where SQLite is installed on the machine?

3. Would we be better off running the off platform work on the free versions of MySQL or SQL server?

@xfactor83,

I don’t believe DB Browser comes with SQLite, my guess is that on installing it searches your computer for the SQLite executable, but I don’t know. However, you don’t need to set up SQLite with a bash alias to use it with DB Browser. All you have to do is download SQLite from the website and then unzip the folder. Then you download the DB Browser installer and run it and you’re ready to go.

If you don’t want to use SQLite, you can set up whichever DBMS you want for your own computer – MySQL, SQL server, PostgreSQL, etc. However, keep in mind that depending on your skill level those may be more work to set up (though there are plenty of Youtube walk-throughs). Also keep in mind that some commands will be different depending on the DBMS you use, so you may have to learn different commands than you learned on Codecademy (Codecademy teaches with SQLite).

Ultimately it’s up to you and your goals. If you want to build a web app that uses PostgreSQL on the backend, it might be beneficial to work through the off platform assignments with that, since you’ll have to learn it anyway down the line. However, I still think the quickest way to get up and running practicing SQL in an offline, local environment is to download SQLite and use DB Browser.

Awesome thanks for the reply!