Object oriented programming. 18

I've used codecademy on other topics like CSS, but this ruby course is very poorly done.

That's your opinion, I've really enjoyed this course and I think it was well explained and very beginner friendly. What are you struggling with?

I really like it, I wanted to have a go at Ruby because I want to get some sort of handle on Ruby on Rails. Someone suggested looking at Javascript first to get an idea on object oriented languages, but I found that course very frustrating and almost obsfucating when it came to OO (while the the Ruby one is very clear), though it was pretty good with the intro to programming sections. I guess people have different interests and learning styles, and I mean it's pretty great we can do this for free. I just take it easy and find I pick up a lot more than I think I do - like you can't let the forgotten exclamation point or capital letter inside a string get to you, haha.

Too many bugs. Even with the correct code it doesn't pass sometimes, have to reload then it passes. Some mod's the instructions are a bit off, or the order looks like its been changed.

Indeed. Half the time I have to copy-and-paste from the forums to find an answer that will be accepted. And often, there is NO WAY to know that answer from the instructions.

Except that I finished the course without needing the help from any thread, without any knowledge of Ruby beforehand. And no, I'm no genius, I'm not special, I just used patience and thinking, so you should be able to do it as well if you want to.

It's true that there are some limitations in the answers you can give, but it's bound to happen in exercises with an automated correction, and with a bit of deduction and observation it's perfectly possible to find the problems linked to this robotic reasoning (besides, only a few of those exercises are in this case). Also, arguing that there's often NO WAY to find the answer from the instructions is just nonsense sorry to say (if you have particular examples in mind, please provide them and we'll be able to discuss them).

Finally, copy-pasting is not the way to learn a language (actually, to learn anything). I can understand that you do that once or twice out of frustration, but if you do that half of the time, it's characteristic of not enough time allowed to thinking and trial/error. I think it's more a problem of mindset rather than a problem in the course.

I had one or two bugs for the whole course of Ruby. A reload of the page fixed them. Instructions have never caused me any problem of understanding as far as I remember, which ones are you thinking about?

Maybe you can read Codecademy's mind or something. I can't. Please think before you hurl insults around.

Exactly the opposite of what I said:

When did I insult you? Can you quote me please?

"Except that I finished the course without needing the help from any thread, without any knowledge of Ruby beforehand. And no, I'm no genius, I'm not special, I just used patience and thinking, so you should be able to do it as well if you want to.

It's true that there are some limitations in the answers you can give, but it's bound to happen in exercises with an automated correction, and with a bit of deduction and observation it's perfectly possible to find the problems linked to this robotic reasoning (besides, only a few of those exercises are in this case). Also, arguing that there's often NO WAY to find the answer from the instructions is just nonsense sorry to say (if you have particular examples in mind, please provide them and we'll be able to discuss them).

Finally, copy-pasting is not the way to learn a language (actually, to learn anything). I can understand that you do that once or twice out of frustration, but if you do that half of the time, it's characteristic of not enough time allowed to thinking and trial/error. I think it's more a problem of mindset rather than a problem in the course."

...Yeah. The entire thing. Particularly the last paragraph.

@kingmaxfield

I can read my own posts, you don't need to quote it entirely, I'm just asking you if you can quote the exact passage where I insulted you (if you can of course, because I know very well that I didn't :smile:).

Now, it's possible that you FELT insulted, but that's a completely different thing.

I would like to say that I've had very little problem with the ruby course. Very few bugs I have noticed and most of the instructions were very clear. I often look at the discussions, but mostly just to see how others have solved the problems and how others solutions may have differed from mine.

As far as @arjofocolovi insulting anyone. Throughout the entire ruby course, time and time again I have seen him take time to help others. I can't count the amount of times, and he has never insulted anyone in doing so.

This course was brilliant. In the world of computing, THERE WILL BE BUGS! Many thanks to the folks at codecademy for making this available to us for free!

This course was awesome. I had some hangups but it was fun to work them out and get things moving.

For a free resource, I'm blown away by how awesome it is. I would be happy to pay a premium for introductory courses with a console and editor that critiques your code.

Awesome job Codeacademy, I had a blast.

Looking forward to jumping into rails.

Not for me, loved the CSS one though.

I believe @arjofocolovi is just providing you with examples of how to use this course efficiently. No insults were thrown. You're taking constructive criticism as an insult. Coding is about problem-solving. The only way to actually learn is to actually problem solve and use trial/error. Which is why everything isn't so clear and direct. If you're just here for fun than ignore his post. If you really would like to learn to code then take everything he wrote as valid and useful criticism.