Number Guesser Project - Why does 1 function work but the other doesn't?

Hey there,

I’m working on the Number Guesser project currently. I’m trying to code the compareGuesses function and I can’t figure out why it won’t work. I was able to create what feels like a longer means of writing the function so it works but I can’t find out why my initial try didn’t work as well - it wouldn’t give me any errors, it just logged ‘false’ no matter what.

Here’s the working code:

const generateTarget = () => Math.floor(Math.random() * 10);

let targetNumber = generateTarget();
let humanGuess = 8;
let computerGuess = 9;
let humanRange = Math.abs(humanGuess - targetNumber);
let computerRange = Math.abs(computerGuess - targetNumber);

const compareGuesses =  (humanGuess, computerGuess, targetNumber) => {
    if ((humanRange === computerRange) || (humanRange < computerRange)) {
        return true;
    } else {
        return false;
        }
    }

Here’s the broken code where I can’t understand why it’s broken:

let humanGuess = 8;
let computerGuess = 9;

if ((Math.abs(humanGuess - targetNumber)) === (Math.abs(computerGuess - targetNumber))){
    return true;
    }  
else if ((Math.abs(humanGuess - targetNumber)) < (Math.abs(computerGuess - targetNumber))) {
    return true; 
    }
else {
    return false;
    }
}

console.log(compareGuesses());

Some more things to help with! So, I originally didn’t use the:

let humanGuess = 
let computerGuess =

and I was just doing a console.log(compareGuesses(9, 8, );. It felt wrong to have the empty parameter but, since I already defined it with let targetNumber = generateTarget(); it didn’t seem like I should also be defining it in the console.log(). How would I do this?

Last question:

I tried to define let targetNumber = generateTarget(); inside the compareGuesses() function but before the if statement and it sent back an error. Any ideas why? Is it proper to define targetNumber above the function?

I really appreciate any time you spend in helping me understand this and, from a new coder, the extra help on the forum is SO helpful. So, thank you in advance!

UPDATE (kind of):

So I still haven’t answered any of those above questions but I did continue going through the exercise with the working code and…it doesn’t work! I’ve searched through other people’s solutions and I have no clue why there’s would work and mine wouldn’t. Please help! Here is my full script.js code:

let humanScore = 0;
let computerScore = 0;
let currentRoundNumber = 1;

// Write your code below:

let humanRange = Math.abs(humanGuess - targetNumber);
let computerRange = Math.abs(computerGuess - targetNumber);

if ((humanRange === computerRange) || (humanRange < computerRange)) {
        return true; 
    } else {
        return false;
        }
}

const updateScore = winner => {
    if (winner === 'human'){
        humanScore ++;
    }
    else {
        computerScore ++;
    }
}

const advanceRound = () => {
    return currentRoundNumber++;
};

Well, as long as no one has solved this. I’ll continue adding to the confusion. When I include

let humanGuess = 5;
let computerGuess = generateTarget();

in my code (in between the let targetNumber = generateTarget() and let humanRange = Math.abs(humansGuess - targetNumber);). The actual UX/UI in my browser works but when I remove those two lines of code, there’s no reaction to me pressing Make a Guess.

Stick to the instructions given to you for the project. You are not required to declare variables globally or call functions. There is a second JavaScript file that will take care of those things for you.

1 Like

Could you be more specific?

The instructions never tell you to call generateTarget or to declare the variables targetNumber, humanRange and computerRange, simply to have parameters of the compareGuesses function where inside you can declare them for cleaner looking code but not necessary. All you need to do for this project is write the functions.

2 Likes