Number Guesser for Javascript

Hey folks!! I have just started and I’m struggling with the Number Guesser project as I still lack basic understanding of how functions work. It’s the first “unassisted” project I take. This is the link:

I’m stuck at task 5:

Create an updateScore() function. This function will be used to correctly increase the winner’s score after each round.

First of all: Why do I need to create a function to change the scoreboard in the first place? Couldn’t I just write code to change it after I set the winner in the “compareGuesses” function?

This function:

• Has a single parameter. This parameter will be a string value representing the winner. I couldn’t figure out what to do here.
  • Increases the score variable ( humanScore or computerScore ) by 1 depending on the winner passed in to updateScore . The string passed in will be either 'human' or 'computer' .**Also have no idea what to do her. I don’t remember learning any thing that alters a variable somewhere else, during the course so far. I’d love to be pointed out to what type of code I should write so I can research? From what I understand it would something like "if winner is such, then score=score+1 **
  • Does not need to return any value.

Sorry about the beginners question!:laughing:

let humanScore = 0;
let computerScore = 0;
let currentRoundNumber = 1;

// Write your code below:

const generateTarget = Math.floor(Math.random() * 9)

const compareGuesses = (humanGuess, computerGuess,targetGuess) => {
  if (Math.abs (humanGuess-targetGuess() )<Math.abs( computerGuess-targetGuess() )){ return true;                                                                        
} else if  (Math.abs (humanGuess-targetGuess() )> Math.abs( computerGuess-targetGuess() )){
  return false; 
}

}

const updateScore = (winner) => {

}

1 Like

yes, but putting everything in a single function you get spaghetti code, an unmaintainable and untestable bunch of gibberish. The function names also help to identify which part of the program has which job.

you seem to have figured this out:

}

i see a function with a parameter

now based of who won you can call the function:

}

updateScore('human') # represents the user winning
updateScore('computer') # represents the computer winning

then within the function, we need a comparison (so if and else) to determine who won.

after you defined a variable:

let humanScore = 0;

you can change the value:

humanScore = 5;

or you could increase the score:

humanScore = humanScore + 1

surely this has been taught?

1 Like

Im stuck, Im not understanding the function that is needed to be in the updateScore, can someone show me the code so i can make sense of it?

I don’t give away code solutions, i help people.

Here is my code:

let humanScore = 0;
let computerScore = 0;

// Write your code below:

const generateTarget = Math.floor(Math.random() * 9)

const compareGuesses = (humanGuess, computerGuess,targetGuess) => {
  if (Math.abs (humanGuess-targetGuess() )<Math.abs( computerGuess-targetGuess() )){ return true;                                                                        
} else if  (Math.abs (humanGuess-targetGuess() )> Math.abs( computerGuess-targetGuess() )){
  return false; 
}
  else {
    return invalid;
  }
}

}
if(humanScore){
  console.log(humanScore + 1);
}
else if(computerScore){
  console.log(computerScore + 1);
}
else{
  console.log('error');
}

I am printing an error and I think it is because I am not printing a target number, help!

For future reference, please click on the </> icon before pasting your code, and then paste it in the space specified. This will preserve your original formatting, and make your code easier to read.
You have some unnecessary parenthesis here, and an unnecessary else statement. See my comments:

In this project we aren’t using the console for any results. The results are being displayed on the web page in the browser pane. Instead of logging anything to the console, you need to update (increase by 1) the variable that points to the value for either the human or the computer. Also keep in mind that the variable winner is either true or false. If the human player won it’s true, otherwise it’s false. Your if conditions inside your updateScore function need to determine who won. See what you can do, and repost your code if you need more help. Good Luck!

the body of your function is empty:

// empty body of function
  } // closes function

furthermore, you do nothing with the winner parameter of the function

here is my code, I can’t work out why it won’t properly calculate the winner. It doesn’t give any errors, but when the numbers are compared it doesn’t declare the proper winner, for example if the target is 8, the computer guess is 8, and the human guess is 3, it will declare the human the winner.

let humanScore = 0;
let computerScore = 0;

function generateTarget() { // generates a random numbers between 0 and 9
    return Math.floor(Math.random() * 10);
}

function compareGuesses(computerGuess, humanGuess, target) { // compares the guesses, returns true if human wins.
    const humanDifference = Math.abs(target - humanGuess);
    const computerDifference = Math.abs(target - computerGuess);
    return humanDifference <= computerDifference;
}

function updateScore(winner) { // updates the score of the winner, either computer or human.
    if (winner === 'human') {
        humanScore++;
    } else if (winner === 'computer') {
        computerScore++;
    }
}

function advanceRound() {
    currentRoundNumber += 1
}

// console.log(generateTarget())
// console.log(compareGuesses(8, 4, 8))

Nevermind, I figured out that in the compareGuesses function I had put the computerGuess and humanGuess parameters the wrong way round.