Not getting passed on Exercise 5

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I have the same message again and again. Other browser (e.g. Safari) doesn't work too.

Edit: One failure I have found by myself it is the bracket in line 11 at the end. I have deleted the bracket but still the same :slightly_smiling:

Edit2: OK, this seems really to be a WEB Page bug since I had this recently in another lesson too. I have deleted the code, refreshed the site and entered the code from the scratch. Now it works again..

Exercise 5, "Remember to update the '.counter' to show how many characters are left" error

Hi Boris,

On line 10, $('status-box') is trying to select the <status-box> HTML element. You need to change that to be $('.status-box'), so it selects the element with the class="status-box" attribute :slightly_smiling:

Hi Zystvan

Thank you very much. In the meantime I was able to pass the course.
But there is 1 point I do not really understand. When do I use the '.' in order to select a class. For example here I don't:

currentDot.removeClass('active-dot');
nextDot.addClass('active-dot');

Thank you very much for your help.

Best Regards,
Boris

@boris_ addClass(), removeClass(), and toggleClass() all take a class as an input. The dot (.) in front of a class name is to distinguish it from being an #id or a tag, but with add/remove/toggleClass(), the computer knows it's getting a class, so no need for the dot :slightly_smiling:

My code is the exact same as the exemplar code, but when I submit it it says, "Remember to fade out the current slide and remove the 'activeSlide' class."
The n shortcut 2