No need to transform it to list

Hey guys, (text) is originally set to be string, there is no need to transform it to list, or delete anything.
Here is my code

def reverse(text):
reverse = ""
for i in range(1, len(text)+1):
reverse += text[-i]
return reverse

It worked!!! Easy right?

7 Reverse -- curious

I realise there's an element of self-learning expected in these tasks, however I would never have thought to look up slices because I never knew that existed until seeing these comments.

It specifically says not to use reverse slice: text[::-1] , but does it really expect us to delve into something we've never even heard of before?
I thought it would be possible along these lines:

while len(list1) > 0:
    list1.pop((len(list1))

but I can't manage tor return and append to list2.
I haven't seen this method anywhere; am I on the wrong track?

After solving the exercise, I decided to see what other people had done. Since I'm haven't seen anything similar here, I would like to share what I have done and hope it helps.

def reverse(text):
txt = ''
for i in text:
txt = i + txt
return txt

3 posts were split to a new topic: Some clarification to the use of the [-1] or [-i]

The exercise specifically says not to use "reversed" command.

This works because the string txt is being replaced with each iteration. It is a legitimate approach, but fails to treat a string as an immutable object. Somewhere down the line this type of approach could come with a gotcha.

Now I remembered one of the previous lessons talking about treating strings as immutable objects, but I kind of got stuck and this was the only way I could figure it out. Should I be slicing the text when not using the reverse command or [::-1]? Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.