Hello,

Just started the Web development course with Codecademy Pro. Just about to finish the html part of the course. I know I am new but I really want to learn and really embed myself in the material. I’m trying to find answers and it is possible I may not be asking the right questions but here I go…

1. After the Web development course what is the recommended course to take?
  2. What is the best way to practice what I’ve learned?
  3. And how far will codecademy take me?

I know the last question is formatted in a way where it’s answered “whatever you put into it, is what you’ll get out of it” I just want to know if Codecademy has everything I need to learn as far as the latest material that Web developers/DEVS are using today.

I hope I made this clear! Thank you to whoever responds!

1 Like

Hello @byte1049805891, welcome to the forums!

Well…there are no ‘recommended’ courses to take, but there are courses on HTML, CSS and JavaScript on Codecademy, if you wanted to re-cement your knowledge, and practise it more. If you want to look at back end, you can do PHP. You could also do some of the Skills Path courses, such as Create a Front End App with React or others. This would also help to increase your knowledge of these topics, and make your knowledge of web dev more well-rounded.

Aside from doing the projects that Codecademy, which are quite good for practise what you have learnt, you can set yourself some goals. For instance, you could say, ‘right, I am going to build a website that does…’ That, I find, is one of the best ways to practise what you have learnt, as you can pick something that your heart is really into, and you can do something to work to your strengths, or build on your weaknesses. Also, maybe try googling around, and seeing if there are any good projects to do elsewhere (on other websites, forum answers, etc.).

Will it teach you everything you need to know? Probably not, but it will give you a good grounding to explore farther. From my experience of learning the languages on Codecademy, it would be useful to read some of the documentation of the language. (Here is some HTML documentation: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML). This helps you to increase your knowledge of the language, but, since you already know some (from taking the course), the documentation becomes easier to read and understand.

I hope this helps!

4 Likes

@tera5288723178
Perfect! this was very helpful and insightful. I’ve heard from many resources online that as a Developer you’ll always be learning and this solidifies that for me. I’m still in the Web Development course so I know I’m jumping ahead a little but I just wanted to get a little direction so thank you!

I appreciate you reaching out!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums @tera5288723178

If you want to continue in web developement then HTML CSS Javascript and PHP, are the right way to go.

I also recommend trying out Python, as it is easy to use and with the ability to add on to it, it can be used to do a lot.

1 Like

Hi there, and welcome to the forums.

@tera5288723178 and @8-bitgaming have already given you a good deal of info, so I’ll try and avoid repeating any of what they’ve said. :slight_smile:

If you’re only at the end of the HTML section of the Web Development career path, then you have a lot of interesting content ahead of you.

HTML is only 1/14 of the material covered on that course. After HTML, which is the basic building block of the web, you’ll go on to cover CSS and JavaScript and the ways you can apply them both on the front-end (including with the popular React framework) and the back-end (with Node and Express). There is also content on SQL, to add permanence to the data on your pages, and lessons on bringing it all together to build complex items like a back-end API.

The lessons you’ll complete by doing that path are drawn from the “standalone” courses also available here on Codecademy; so, you may find that once you’ve completed the path there are some courses which you’ve only partially finished. These could be a good starting point for further study once you’ve done the path.

Whilst there’s nothing inherently wrong with the suggestion that you move on to PHP after doing the web development path - PHP remains a popular language on the web, after all - I think you’d get more benefit from sticking with the languages from the career path for a bit after finishing it.

Thanks to tech like Node.js, JavaScript is no longer a language confined to the “front-end” and only running in your browser. It can now be used both on the back-end to do your server-side processing, and can also be used to write programs which run on your computer. (The Atom code editor being an excellent example of a program written in JS.)

As well as the exercises and projects which you’ll complete over the course of the web development path, there are “Challenge Projects” available on the Practice tab of your Codecademy dashboard.

As @tera5288723178 said, though - having a hobby project, whatever it is, is a great way to learn. If you have something that you’ve thought of, and decide to try and build it, you’ll likely be forced to not only apply what you’ve learned here but also you’ll run into things you don’t know how to do. At that point, you’ll need to go looking for the answers… and that’ll only expand your knowledge and ability. :slight_smile:

The web development path should give you a solid grasp of the fundamentals you would need to be a “full stack” developer. If you’ve seen ads online for a “full stack bootcamp”, the path does the same thing - but at your own pace. Between that, the Challenge Projects, and any additional projects of your own that you put together, you’re probably well on the way to having a decent portfolio of work and a junior dev role.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions about the web dev path material, or if you get stuck, take a look around the forums. (There’s a good amount of topics about the common stumbling points.)

If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, though, just open a new topic and we’ll do what we can to help you out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, thank you for all the great responses! I’m pretty green right now so all the advice is very much appreciated. I’ll have to reach out if I have any more questions! Thank you all once again!

3 Likes