Newbie here! NEED GUIDANCE AND NETWORK

Hello everyone!

I’m going to apologize upfront for the long Bio, I’m nervous and new to this world and really need some guidance and begin networking. Here I go!

My name is Charles Lowe. I’m a 38-year-old single father of two teenage boys in Orlando, Fl. who took went back to school at the age of 30. I’ve been in the Transportation industry for over 15 years and had roles from being a self-proprietor to driving semi’s across North America, to serving in the military. I managed to graduate six years later while working full-time and taking care of my family. I can say that it wasn’t easy at all, and life was pretty much nonexistent. My Christmas present was an Associates Degree in Mobile Application Software Development Programming with Highest Honors in 12/2015, and my Bachelors Degree in Science in Supply Chain and Logistics Management. Yeah, I KNOW… 180.

I diverted my BS degree from Computer Science to SCM. Hear me out now. With working full-time and entering a new market, losing revenue was not an option to start over. I had to think methodically about this and buy myself some time to learn adequately about programming instead of blowing through some courses and not really retaining or learning anything about coding. So, I chose this path to compliment my already 15 years experience in the industry to propel my career currently until I can take the time to truly begin my course to accomplishing my ultimate goal: Build my own Software Application.

I feel the DESIRE and NEED to try and reconstruct the system lifecycle in this industry and possibly change the way the game is played. Ultimately, I’m new to this market and need to Network as much as possible, and genuinely seek guidance from ANYONE who can give me some feedback in transitioning my career into a field into one day becoming a DevOps Engineer. But for right now, I’ll settle for building ‘my very first’ software application that I feel will make a lot of companies money in the industry by assisting the workforce to become more efficient.

With that being said, I’m not getting any younger, and need everyone’s help to feed me as much information as they can so that I can build a road map for myself. Currently, I’m taking CODEACADEMY PRO and start from the beginning. They got me learning web development, and with the base knowledge from my college, the information is sticking to me with ease.

God Bless you all in this community and hope that everyone here finds there peace as well.

Sincerely,

C. Lowe

2 Likes

Good morning, @charleslowe197084738!

It sounds like you’re on the right track so far in terms of learning the ropes. The entire industry’s in a state of upheaval at the moment due to new laws being passed over the last two years, and current laws actually started to being enforced. To be honest, the major players are in a state of panic as they diligently strive to adapt to these changes locally and across the globe.

I’m 42, living near Fort Myers, and responsible for finding the July 2018 Apollo data breach as well as the April 2019 involving KissMetrics. Honestly, you’ve come to the right place at the right time, a lot of us are chomping at the bit to get started.

Here’s a few things that you may want to consider putting on your to-do list, and most of them can be done anytime:

• Get familiar with copyright, trademark, patent, intellectual property and software licensing laws. When it comes to software development, what you don’t know will inevitably hurt you when you least expect it.
  • Continue developing your knowledge and skills about malware, software vulnerability exploits, and operating systems. You’ll find a lot of good material from reliable internet security blogs (Sucuri, HackerNews, BleepingComputer, etc.)
  • Make the time to study on Codecademy, even if it means that your kids get to hang out and watch you build cool lesson programs. There’s nothing wrong with leveraging what you do into something that might continue long after you retire.
  • Your health comes first. Don’t forget to eat, drink enough water, get enough rest and exercise daily.
  • Last but not least, you’ll have a much better chance at making more money by incorporating a business. Find a solid CPA, and heed their advice; the only time I’ve ever owed the IRS was when I didn’t listen.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the input. Ft. Myers. Lol
I have family in the Cape, and my kids born in naples. Small world. Keep in touch, might need your services for debugging code regarding security breaches later. Lol.

1 Like