NEW feature: Workspaces

Hey Community! We’ve been steadily rolling out a new feature that just hit 100% for Pro users - Workspaces.

TL;DR There’s a new make-what-you-want tool rolling out now with many features to follow this year, please give feedback!

You can check it out on your dashboard when you scroll down, or hit up codecademy.com/users/{your-username}/workspaces.

It’s basically our learning environment ‘without rules’ so you can practice and build whatever you’d like outside of the constraints posed by lessons and projects telling you what to do. We hope that you’ll use it as a companion to your courses and paths to create as you go, getting comfortable with going DIY even before you hit a point in your learning where we push you to do so.

Please give us your thoughts and feedback! This is just our MVP today but coming up in the roadmap are things like:

• More languages and frameworks - workspaces will eventually support everything we teach
  • Autosave
  • Sharing and collaboration tools
  • Take your code from a lesson/project to a workspace with one click
  • Access for all users - a (more limited) version of workspaces will be made available to non-Pro learners too

One of the best ways to learn is not just to follow a tutorial but to experiment and create as you go, and we hope this helps. What else should workspaces have to help you to learn better? :slight_smile:

20 Likes

Is there a way to see which python libraries are available in the Workspace? I entered pip list/pip freeze in the terminal but that didn’t work.
Is there a way to download and install certain packages? This feature is available with other online Python environments like Binder.

2 Likes

Man, I just entered here to ask the very same question.

Appreciate the input! The feature is only in beta now, there’s a lot ahead of us on the roadmap, and it’ll take a while to support more of the features you want. I hope you’ll bear with us!

2 Likes

Hi @oduffy,

Thank you for replying us but can you please inform what libraries are currently supported by the workspace? We are not asking for any specific new feature just information.

Anyway, I’m excited by this idea so yes, keep up the good work!

Thanks.

Yeah that’s what I mean, we effectively do not support library installations and configurations at this time, same as we don’t allow that sort of freedom in the learning environment (on which the workspace / sandbox thing is based). Consider it restricted to vanilla Python 3 for now but we’re working on it.

4 Likes

Hi there. It seems node is running the repl shell in workspaces. On exiting REPL with ctrl + D, it no longer functions at all.

How would I go about installing the mocha testing framework in codecademy workspaces?

Hi, I was wondering how I could request a feature for workspaces?
I use C# and I think it would be nice if we could have an option for “bash” or something similar where we could take input from users! It would help me practice coding plus make the workspace that much better! Because of this projects are severely limited by what we can do. and it is impossible to make games that need input.
Thanks, for taking your time to listen.

Hi there! Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll pass it on to the team that now works on that feature set. Its our hope that the feature will improve as more people make use of it!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your time!

1 Like

Will my content in workspace still be available when my subscription expires?