Need help with iterating through indexes. thank you

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/python-beginner-nzzVa/3/4?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096

Hi, I am attempting to do this exercise using "Method 2 - iterate through indexes" and not by using "Method 1 - for item in list" because ive had more practice with the first method. but I am stuck now and need some help. please tell me what I have to add to the code and explain why please

n = [3, 5, 7]

def total(numbers):
    result = 0
    for i in total(

if we need to use indexes we need to use range() (docs - range), the range should start at 0 (first index) till the last item of the list (len(n)), which gives us:

for i in range(0,len(numbers)):
   print i

as you can see, i now gives us indexes which we can use to access the items in the list (this notation should look familiar):

print numbers[i]

we use i to access the item from the numbers list

hi thanks for replying, i'm still a little confused, i put everything in like this :

n = [3, 5, 7]

def total(numbers):
result = 0
print numbers[i]

and I'm getting the error 'Oops, try again. total([0, 3, 6]) returned None, did you remember to return the result? '

uhm... i just showed you how to to use indexes to access the values? You might want to add a function call:

n = [3, 5, 7]

def total(numbers):
    result = 0
        print numbers[i]
print total(n)

you still have to add all the numbers from the list to total, and return it. You asked for help with iterating, that is what i gave you? First try if you can figure out how to add them to total, if you need more help post an updated version of your code

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.