Need heelp in step 3 of python gradebook

Manually (without any methods) create a two-dimensional list to combine subjects and grades . Use the table below as a reference to associated values

Hello @pawelk86, welcome to the forums! Unfortunately, we can’t just give away code; if you have some code, we can help you fix it, or if you have an idea, we can help make it work.

Having said this, remember that a 2D-list looks like this:

2d_list = [["this", "is"],["a", "2d"],["list"]]
1 Like
subjects = ["physics", "calculus", "poetry", "history"] grades = [98, 97, 85, 88] gradebook = [[subjects,grades]] print(gradebook)

the output is not as it should be

No, it isn’t. I think the exercise wants you to pair the one element of subjects with one element of grades, like so:

["physics", 98]

yes, that want to achieve

So if that’s the desired output for one set of grades/subjects, how would you combine all of them? Once you’ve done that, how would you combine them into a 2-d list?

These forums aren’t just about giving away answers; they’re also about encouraging the correct thinking.

yes i forgot that, i need 2-d list but forgot how do it I think I redoo that lesson o read curse book

i tried to make it print

gradebook = [subjects, [grades]]

print(gradebook)

but I got this as output
[[‘physics’, ‘calculus’, ‘poetry’, ‘history’], [[98, 97, 85, 88]]]

and I think it should be [physicis, 98 ] and so on

You are correct, it should be. Remember the lesson wants you to manually do it, so there’s no need to try and do it in a fancy way. Remember this is a two-d list:

2d_list = [["this", "is"],["a", "2d"],["list"]]

You want the output to have each nested list including one grade and one subject.

1 Like

thanks i feel so mooron :man_facepalming:

now it’s good

gradebook = [[subjects[0], grades[0]],[subjects[1], grades[1]], [subjects[2], grades[2]], [subjects[3], grades[3]]]

print(gradebook)
1 Like

i coppied pasted first one and put relevant indices I don’t know does this count as manual :smiley:

I think it counts as manual. It certainly works! The way I’ve seen other people do it is just like this:

[["physics", 98], ["calculus", 97]](etc)

But I actually prefer your way

1 Like

in that exercise i know i could use for or while loop, I use Mimo coding learning app since October and on Codecademy pro since late December but still struggling :slightly_frowning_face: