{Need Advice} Will me degree help me?

Hi my name is Trey. I am currently in my last semester for my Business Management program at my community college. While completing my program, I have been teaching myself how to code. My question is more towards individuals that have been hired by companies/businesses or anyone that has knowledge of hiring in the web development field. My question is, Will my business management degree help me land a entry level web developing job?

Hi @treyschlicht

Just want to say I'm not the person your question is targeted for. However, would like to chip in my two cents. Hope you don't mind.

Your question is rather specific, chances of people that you're looking for, who can provide answer for you is quite slim.

Firstly, you situation is:
1. You have Business Management degree.
2. You want to apply for Web Developing job.

Things to consider (following priority):
1. Whether you have adequate skill for the job (Web developing).
2. Whether the job itself is related to your field of study.

For Priority 1, having a Business Management does not proof/equate your ability to code/program in the job you wish to apply (Web developing). Thus, I find this a good read

For Priority 2, if the web developing job is related to your Business Management field, then I'd say it's a bonus for your application. (let's say website that showcase business information/terminology, which needs someone familiar in that field to crosscheck etc.)

If it's not, the employer would probably just want to know how good/ how well you can undertake the web developing responsibility.

I can't say that for sure as I'm not involved in the hiring.

But, I've read @bbbisho post in other topics, he runs the hiring and recruiting at Codecademy.

You can find his post here, and here.

Anyhow, don't feel despair. Your Business Management degree would prove useful in the long run, you could apply your skills/knowledge when reaching managerial/organization level, none will be wasted if you think of a way to apply what you know into what you do.

For words of encouragement, do read this topic

Side reference:

If you're thinking about internships or Computer Science degree/degree related to programming, I find these two might provide some answer for you

where to look for front end dev internship

should I get a software engineering degree

About getting a degree, @jrwittenberg explained it with her very well detailed opinion.

Sorry for the tl:dr post, I guess that's all. I wish you well. :smiley:

This was recently posted to Twitter by Codecademy...

You Don’t Have to Major in Computer Science to Do It as a Career

Something to consider with any degree is how much can you leverage it, moving forward into a different discipline? If you can build layers on the foundation you have, that is remain connected to your principle discipline while branching into development, then you are building upon your value to an employer, and to yourself.

A management degree opens doors; that gets you a day job. Development study on your own helps you learn how to build analysis tools for accounting, marketing, costing, trends, statistics, cash flow, HR, etcetera. Find the need, and the rest will follow to drive your development endeavor. That's what I mean by layer. Both layers of a Nanaimo bar are delicious. You increase the value of your work this way.

On the front of changing career paths, it cannot hurt to have a business degree in your hip pocket, even if your path involves a startup. You can walk through the front door of practically any development company and be useful to them in both development and management capacity, and with sound leadership they would know how to get the most from you and for you.

@mtf, I wish I could arrange my thoughts into sentences as concise and compact as your reply. :weary:
How envious! :triumph:

Pardon me for being off topic, learning to code but also learning languages as well. :cold_sweat:

Your knowledge will undoubtedly be useful to companies. Try to send a resume to the position of the intern. You can prove yourself in the first months, and then move to a higher position.