National Day of Civic Hacking (Sep 18, 2021!)

A cool upcoming opportunity for any U.S.-based folks looking to get some practice working with real data:

Code for America’s National Day of Civic Hacking :woman_technologist:

September 18, 2021 from 9 - 3 PT / 12 - 6 ET

If you’re looking to get more practice with data analysis and design thinking, this is a great way to put your skills into action - all experience levels welcome. We’ll have a Codecademy-specific space at the event, too, for you to meet other community members - we’ll update this post closer to the date with details on how to access that.

When you register, sign up as an individual volunteer, but be sure to put " Codecademy " as your organization (and comment below!) so we know you’ll be there! Registration link is here!

You can read more about the event and find FAQ on Code for America’s site. Happy hacking!

3 Likes

Ah, this is neat. Anything like this for Canada?

Not sure about a Code for Canada, but Codecademy also runs periodic Community Hackathons that are location agnostic (there’s one going on for iOS development right now!).

Plenty of other great hackathons out there; Hacktoberfest is another good example that’s coming up soon that you could check out.

1 Like

Is it possible for non US based people to participate?

Best regards
Niklas

3 Likes

I just signed up!
I’m incredibly new to everything code and programming, but I do have some experience with communities, and a lot of experience managing and coordinating teams and projects. I also love data and spreadsheets, haha, though I haven’t been formally trained in the ‘higher arts’ of it yet.
Most importantly, LOVE the idea of #Reimagine911, so very excited to contribute in whatever way I can!

2 Likes

Will be there! Looking forward to it

1 Like

Hi, is this virtual? Can I join and contribute from my home setup in NY?

Hi @gnyama - Yes, this is virtual! I’ll also be joining from my home setup in NY :grinning:

1 Like

Hi @nmages (and @nicopino31 )!

Just checked in with the Code for America team, and they said folks from different countries are welcome to participate so long as they’re comfortable with researching and exploring US-based 911 jurisdictions/cities. So feel free to sign up if you’re still interested in getting involved :grinning:

2 Likes

Super excited to be a part of this and get firsthand experience with this type of community and work on a great project!

1 Like

Thank you very much for looking into this for us!

1 Like

very excited and get experience

1 Like

Excited to participate - just signed up to join the initiative from UK :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will be there! I can’t wait to join in the fun!

1 Like

Do you have to stay for the whole thing? I may not be able to.

No, you’re welcome to join for part! The schedule is here if you want to see what’s happening when.

So you said this is beginner-friendly, right? Well, what do beginners do and how?

Hi @cwarbington408609209 - you can find descriptions of the activities on the NDoCH site. There are activities for open data and prototyping (less technical) and data analysis (using SQL, Plotly, etc.)