My Learn C++ Review

I finally did all the (current as of 12/11/18) material in the Learn C++ course and I’ll give it a B++
It was great for knocking the rust off the old C++ brain.
Like learning most new languages it starts you off with the basics. Hello World!
A couple projects got a bit repetitive in terms of the typing(or copy and pasting in my case) but that is probably a good thing for the true beginner to really practice things.
I thought the Sorting Hat and Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock project were pretty fun. I’d love to add more questions to Sorting Hat and I kind of want to wrap the RPSLS in a loop to keep playing. Used a nested switch for that one mostly because I can’t remember ever doing it back in college.

switch (user) {
    case 1: //Human chooses Rock
      switch (computer) {
        case 1: //Computer chooses Rock
          std::cout << "You tie! You both chose rock!\n";
          break;
        case 2: //Computer chooses Paper
          std::cout << "Computer wins! Paper covers Rock!\n";
          break;
        case 3: //Computer chooses Scissors
          std::cout << "You win! Rock crushes scissors!\n";
          break;
        case 4: //Computer chooses Lizard
          std::cout << "You win! Rock crushes Lizard!\n";
          break;
        case 5: //Computer chooses Spock
          std::cout << "Computer wins! Spock vaporizes Rock!\n";
          break;
        default: //Something went wrong with rand
          std::cout << "Computer tried to cheat!?!\n";
          break;
      }
      break;

The Dec 6th LiveStream(which I didn’t get to watch live :frowning: ) by @sonnynomnom was great. He has a great sense of humor which I like in a teacher and explains things very well. It was also a relief to see him make a couple typos.
Can’t wait for more content. Thank you codecademy!!!

11 Likes

There will be an update next Monday, December 17th also! Stay tuned for it! Nice that you enjoyed it!

8 Likes

@matthatters incredible feedback! and thank u :slight_smile:

so just looking at these 3 modules alone, what changes can we make to bring it from a B++ to an A++?

8 Likes

Wow, absolutely. I don’t know if you can pull the code from my work page but I also put it here: https://github.com/matthatters/rock_paper_scissors

-Matt H

5 Likes

I think it needs more lessons, but I know that more will come on Monday and later on. So I will wait. My current rating is A- I think. As more coming come out, my rating would probably go up :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Far be it from me to criticize you guys. I think you all are brilliant and clearly know what you’re doing but I think I would have just liked to see more on string and char under the Variables section.

Also, did you edit part of the Sorting Hat? Something seems more magical.

4 Likes

I started the Sorting Hat with this if-else:

if (gryffindor >= hufflepuff) {
  max = gryffindor;
  house = "Gryffindor";
}else{
  max = hufflepuff;
  house = "Hufflepuff";
}
3 Likes

So far so good! I’m a true beginner in programming and I learned a lot from these 3 modules. I wished there was more info on running .cpp files locally and using c++ locally in general. Although I did appreciate the video walk-through!

4 Likes

I personally though the course should be a A because it isn’t everywhere you can find a C++ course. With the update, maybe I would even rate it a A+

5 Likes

oh wow thank u :slight_smile: also, module 4 coming tomorrow (monday) and livestream plus a mini-lesson coming on thursday!

6 Likes

Wait, more material on Thursday?! I didn’t see that on the update thing :grinning:

Thank you for telling us!

5 Likes

yep just updated it!

and check this out everyone:

4 Likes

Thank you for the new update!

4 Likes

I do not believe this should be a part of the get help section of the forum, it isn’t actually asking for help and is just a C++ Review, maybe post it somewhere else?

Your Criticism is still welcome of course, and it is a good and in depth review that really will help the community.

• Jeff

PS:Serious post, don’t delete, this really shouldn’t be here.

5 Likes

Thank you for telling us this! I changed it to General where it should belong since it is just a review like you said.

6 Likes

i did edit it :slight_smile:

and yes, i’m going to add another exercise in variables for string and char!

3 Likes

can you make a pull request here? https://github.com/sonnynomnom/Codecademy-Learn-C-Plus-Plus

and add your code for rock paper scissors inside the rock paper scissors folder?

and then i can add a link in the course.

feel free to add a fun fact comment about yourself (or where u are from) at the top of the program!

5 Likes

I’m confused :confused:

Then @sonnynomnom said this:

So who actually edited it?

Anyways, nice update!

4 Likes

oh i was talking the course. i edited the harry potter sorting hat quiz :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I edited it @icetomeetyou. Sonny Li just edited the course.

5 Likes