My Insecurities starting to kick in

Hey Fam,

When I signed up last Friday and I thought it would be best to just go head-on, which I have and I’m currently at 17% in my introduction to javascript journey. I noticed that on a lot of the projects I’m having trouble translating some of the instruction into code which is really frustrating because I don’t know what’s the correct way to approach it and figure out what piece of code needs to be written that I find myself taking the hints or watching the walkthrough. Any advice on how to improve my translation of written instructions to code?

Thanks

2 Likes

Hello @crazy-chrome.
When I face a problem that I need to turn into code an I’m not sure where to start, I do four things:

1. I look at the problem, and I think how it relates to a problem in real life.
    For example, if the problem is write a function that takes two strings as parameters, and compares them; if they are the same return true. I would think, this is similar to a real life problem of, say, looking at a recipe, and checking to see if an ingredient is the same as one in my fridge.

2. You could take the problem, and see how you do it on paper. Take the above example. You could write it out on paper, and see how you would do it, if you had to do the task. (Not write a program to do it, but. if you personally had to do it.) Think about the steps involved in what you’re doing.

Extra steps to take at this stage if you are very stuck

I think how I would do the task in real life. Take the example above. To see whether ingredient names are the same, I would, in theory, check each individual letter, and see if they all match, realistically, I would see if the two words are the same if (word1 === word2).

1. Next, write pseudo-code. Pseudo-code is like instructions for people, written in a similar fashion to code. Take the example of the recipe function. What steps would you take to see if two words are the same? Write that out. In the example above, you might say:
    Take two words. If the first word is the same as the second word, it is true.
    Pseudo-code is fairly similar to computer code, but written in a way that is natural to you. (If English is not your first language, you can use whichever language you want to-spoken, that is).
  2. Finally, take your pseudo code, and turn it into real code. You might do this bit by bit, revising the pseudo-code at each interval, or you might do it all at once.

Also, don’t be afraid to revise topics you have previously done. A lot of confusion can be cleared up if you relearn topics, to really cement the knowledge you’ve learnt.
I hope this helps!

6 Likes

@crazy-chrome

Hello fellow coder! It might seem that you have stumbled across a coding block, meaning that your stuck on something and feel very anxious about it. Luckily, you have Google on your side, so if you come across any problem, just ask fellow coders or Google! I’m somewhat new to web development, so I understand your problem, I also get really frustrated every time I get an error, but it all comes down to patience, so if you get annoyed, take a break and relax! Hope this helped btw, and good luck on your adventures! Your probably even more ahead than me to be honest! :grin:

5 Likes

Hi! Loved your advice on writing a Pseudo-code! Sound like a good tool to overcome deadlock moments. Definitely will try it the next time I’m puzzled)

2 Likes

Hi. I’m very new, and had this problem for 4 days. I used youtube videos. Lots of short tutorials. Lots. Hearing different people say it out loud helped me digest the language. The ‘teaching language’ of the codecademy verbal instructions is great, but terminology can seem so foreign! I got forward through this by relaxing, taking a break (like another poster here mentioned) and I resisted the urge to ask for help (which is not usual for me!) and instead, just kept watching SHORT tutorials on the subject of the lesson I was stuck on. *(caution - dont watch ANYTHING ELSE!) I think that allowed/forced my brain to repeateldy ‘hear’ the instructions, and this morning, I coded my way to the next page in the lesson on HTML forms. ! yay. (phew)

1 Like

Hi @crazy-chrome. There’s a lot of good ideas here. What I want to add is that I’ve been working through the lessons and projects on and off for the past 8 months and it’s not just you who struggles at times with translating the instructions into code. Overall CC does a good job, but I’ve encountered on a few occasions where the written instructions were just not as clear as I could wish for. Language is a tricky thing sometimes and I’m sure the person(s) writing lessons and projects knew exactly what they were trying to communicate, but something got lost as an assumption. So consider this also a bit of real world experience, where sometimes you have to go back and and ask clarifying questions. In this case, the means to do this is through the hints, forums and videos. Give it time and I think you will begin to understand the the nuances behind how things are communicated. It also gets better as you have time to internalize the concepts. Then you’ll begin to be able to anticipate where instructions are headed.