Most likely a common mistake, please help?

**> def rental_car_cost(days):**
**>     cost = days*40**
**>     if days <= 7:**
**>         cost - 50 = cost**
**>         return cost**
**>     elif days <= 3:**
**>         cost - 20 = cost**
**>         return cost**

The error returns:
Oops, try again. It looks like rental_car_cost returns -10 instead of the correct amount (40) for 1 days.

I feel as though this is a common mistake so if you recognise it, please halp...

Hi you should make that cost - 50 = cost
Like that cost = cost - 50 same for the other.

Sure thanks for the quick reply

Exactly. The variable getting "filled" is on the left side of the equals sign. The right side of the equals sign is what the variable is filled by.

Nope, sorry came up with "Oops, try again. Your code looks a bit off. Feel free to peek back at earlier exercises if you need a refresher! Your code threw the following error: can't assign to operator (python, line 7)"

That's what you had before. You want, as @wizmarco said, cost = cost - 50. The same thing is true for this line, which also needs to be fixed: cost - 20 = cost should be cost = cost - 20.

def rental_car_cost(days):
    cost = days*40
    if days <= 7:
        cost = cost - 50
        return cost
    elif days <= 3:
        cost = cost - 20
        return cost

Like this?

Try it and see what happens. :wink:

> Oops, try again. It looks like rental_car_cost returns -10 instead of the correct amount (40) for 1 days.
:disappointed:

It's okay. You're getting closer. Two things to check:

1. Do you want to return a value no matter what?
  2. Is the $50 discount supposed to be for seven or less days, or for seven or more days?

Here the Right indent

def rental_car_cost(days):
    cost = days*40
    if days <= 7:
        cost = cost - 50
        return cost
    elif days <= 3:
        cost = cost - 20
    return cost

Okay so it's if the days are greater than 7 there is meant to be a discount of $50. I think everything is placed properly but it might be from the face that I didn't specify whether it's just simply over 3 days or between 3 and 7.

Nope, still returns as error, but thanks

In your else if statement make days >= 3 also in the if statement days >= 7

What does your function return if days = 2?

Oops, try again. It looks like rental_car_cost returns -10 instead of the correct amount (40) for 1 days.
(Sorry for long reply)

Well that would mean if days is less than 7/3, and we want if it's greater than (<)

No if days greater than 7 so Its like that days >= 7
Its like that .
Less than < greater than

oh nevermind I just solved it :joy: all I needed was a separate variable for the two discounts, but thanks for the effort :+1: