Modifying each element in a list in a function

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/python-beginner-nzzVa/3/2?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096#

Oops, try again. double_list([0, 1]) returned [0, 1] instead of [0, 2]
CURRENTLY RECEIVING:
[6, 5, 7]
None

Do not understand how my code is not working, even though I see forum posts with "solved" written on them, despite having the same code as me. While technically cheating, I have been stuck too long on this section for me to care. Need support.

n = [3, 5, 7]

def double_list(x):
    for i in range(0, len(x)):
        x[i] = x[i] * 2
        return x

print double_list(n).

Stick in some print statements where you print out what is happening step by step

Got this when I tried doing this

n = [3, 5, 7]

def double_list(x):
x[i] = x[i] * 2
print x
return x

Oops, try again. double_list([0, 1]) returned [0, 1] instead of [0, 2]

Note that what you posted will not run. Ensure that code is intact when you share it, otherwise you shared something other than the code you're talking about - defeating the purpose of sharing the code.

Call your function and observe what it prints to see what it's doing. If you need more information, add more / more detailed prints. Right now it appears that you don't call it at all, so you also will not get any information from your prints due to not running them.

Yep, just solved it, still confused how though. The code looks the exact same to me.

n = [3, 5, 7]

def double_list(x):
x[i] = x[i] * 2
return x

print double_list(n)

Compare to what you posted here. Also consider what you should have done to find it (sounds like you just changed things with no plan) - instead you should be identifying what it's doing differently from what it should do (for example by printing a log of what's being done) and then modifying the code that is responsible for that behaviour (possibly learning more about that part first)

from another user in another thread:
a function ends the moment a return keyword is reached, if a return keyword is reached in a loop, the loop will break, your loop breaks in its first iteration

In your case, the "return" is inside your for loop instead of just being inside the function.

n = [3, 5, 7]

def double_list(x):
for i in range(0,len(x)):
x[i] = x[i] * 2
return x

print double_list(n)

Definitely works....just need the return function to be outside the for loop so that the loop can itterate

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.