Mixed Messages: Harry Potter Quotes

Hi Everyone!

I created a message generator that tells a user what house they are in, their pet, their favourite subject and a quote.

I found it difficult to think of a project and to set out the difficulty of it. It took me about 3 hours to do the project. I generally enjoyed this project and look forward to doing more!

Here is a link to the repo: GitHub - Kanyisa-Ntombini/message-generator

Thanks
Kanyisa

1 Like

Your code is very organized and easy to read! I didn’t even think about creating an object and defining functions as methods to create the program.

Codecademy said to give critical feedback, but I don’t really see where the code could be improved besides maybe making the quotes easier to read (in code) by pushing them to the array on separate lines, rather than defining the element they are a part of directly on the array.

The house, pet, and subject console.log() messages are missing end punctuation, and some of the outputs for those variables result in grammatical errors such as “Your pet is a owl” instead of “Your pet is an owl”, which could be fixed by removing “a/an” from the console log message and placed inside of the element on the array that it is pulled from.

Some of the quotes are missing punctuation, but I’m assuming most of the quotes were copied and pasted from a website, and not because you personally typed them in!
Example: “Books! And cleverness! There are more important things — friendship and bravery.– Hermione Granger, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Chapter 16
is missing the double quotation mark

Oh, and I forgot… if you want to take a look at, or review my project, here it is: GitHub - Icy-Rex/mixed-messages-project

Thank you! Nice project, by the way :slight_smile:

Hey there!

Thank you so much for the feedback. I improved the grammar by adding an if statement so that it checks if an or a should be used when picking an animal. I also edited some of the quotes and made the sentences look better.

I looked through your code and I liked how the project was presented in a professional way. The README file provides a detailed description of how the code works and the technologies used. It would be easy for someone else to replicate it or change it. Your code is easy to read and to follow so someone else can easily contribute to it.

The only thing I can suggest is to create a function with a morningLuck, afternoonLuck and eveningLuck parameter which returns a message. It might help prevent the code from being repeated from lines 59 to 90.

If you would like to pair-program to work through any difficult code in the syllabus feel free to send me a message on discord. My username is TheRuralSpoonie#6909.

I loved your project and I hope you are having a good day!

1 Like

What a beautiful project, Kanyisa. Just reading it improves my “coding brain”. I am a Harry Potter fan, too!

1 Like

An Update

So I decided to turn this message generator into a webpage. I’ve finished the structure with HTML but I am struggling with styling. I find CSS quite difficult! I am currently doing the CSS section so hopefully, the will be an improvement. I made the page interactive by including a button that you can click so that a new message is generated each time. Here is the link to the webpage: Harry Potter Quotes!.

1 Like

I made a webpage and included my Mixed Messages project as well!

I have also included a description and image of one of my independent projects. I would love to put the program on my page, but unfortunately it’s not ready, so here’s a sneak peak!
https://icy-rex.github.io./

Hey there!

You have a really cool portfolio. I like how you incorporated your projects into it. I’m not really sure how portfolios are supposed to look. I haven’t reached that section in the curriculum. I guess the only thing I would suggest would be to add in more details about your skills. I’m not sure if that is appropriate for an online portfolio or if that’s for a resume.

I also wanted to ask if you are interested in pairing. My progress is 19%. I am available to code anytime before 5 pm EST. Hope you are having a good coding day!