Mixed Message Project: Tarot Card Reading Simulation

Hello! Just finished my Mixed Messages project and would love to receive some feedback. My project consists of a script that randomly selects a card out of 15 options. With that card, it randomly selects 2 out of 4 potential card readings to simulate authenticity. To run the code simply download the script and run it with Node.js.

The project prompt was relatively simple but it took me longer than it should have since I decided to store so much information within the tarot card objects. Roughly estimating, I would say that it took me 2 hours with most of that time spent copying the tarot card readings from a website cited in the script and README.md. I would love to know if there is a simpler way to store the tarot card meanings. Thank you for your time.

https://github.com/kyleyoshimoto/Tarot-Card-Sim

Thank you for providing the details about your Mixed Messages project. I took a look at the code in your GitHub repository. Here are my thoughts and feedback:

1. Storing Tarot Card Meanings: You’re right that storing all the card meanings within the objects themselves can make the code a bit verbose and harder to maintain. A better approach could be to separate the card data (names, descriptions, etc.) from the core logic. You could create a separate data file (e.g., a JSON file) containing all the card information, and then import it into your main script. This way, if you need to update or add new card meanings, you only need to modify the data file without touching the main code.
  2. Code Structure: Your code is well-organized and easy to follow. The use of separate functions for different tasks (e.g., getRandomCard(), getRandomReadings()) promotes modularity and reusability.
  3. Randomization: The randomization logic for selecting cards and readings seems to be working correctly.
  4. Documentation: Your README.md file provides clear instructions on how to run the project, which is great. However, you could consider adding some comments within the code itself to explain what each function does and how the different parts of the code interact with each other.
  5. Potential Enhancements: If you want to take this project further, you could consider adding a user interface (e.g., a command-line interface or a web interface) to make it more interactive and user-friendly. You could also explore integrating with an API that provides tarot card meanings, rather than storing them locally.

Overall, your Mixed Messages project demonstrates a good understanding of JavaScript concepts and programming principles. The approach you took to store the card meanings is a valid one, but separating the data from the logic could make your code more maintainable in the long run. Keep up the good work, and don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions!

https://koalamasters.com/