Missing Task? Chore Door : Please Help!

You’re very welcome. It was a pleasure to have made it from start to finish without the learner dropping out, as happened on not too few occassions these past years. My wife is one of the few other people to call me a ‘teacher’, so you are in company with a small circle, all others of whom I have since forgotten (but for her, of course, and she has no interest in this stuff).

I’ll leave you with a couple of reminders, and say no more. First, always start with the HTML. Make sure your user interface is set up the way you want/need it to be, even if some elements are hidden at load time. Make sure your interface and the CSS you give it both validate at validator.w3.org. Then begin scripting, not before. Get the UX up and running is always the best way to start. It doesn’t hurt that you are considering script design in close parallel, but the script needs to fit the UX, not the other way around.

Some marrying is involved, meaning tweaks to the markup, extra structure, additional attributes, but those are of necessity to merge two designs. They are not the design itself. It’s nothing more than the compromises that must be made when two teams assemble on a single project.

Second, study the cascade, inheritence and specificty; oh heck, study the heck out of CSS. Dig in to it from its birth on up to present. There are no real versions of CSS, only updates and revisions. Because of backward compatibility all CSS is valid, dating right back to the beginning. Learn it from that point onward. You’ll be amazed what can be done with CSS alone, no script support. This is an area that in and of itself could be a career focal point. Let the coders pick up the slack.

Third, use script wisely. It is not an imperative, but a necessity when we wish to introduce response logic to our user interface. This game is a perfect example of something we could not have done with CSS alone. But you do see that we bridged that gap quite decisively. We gave as much burden to the CSS as would allow, and made the script concise and as declarative as would needs be.

These three work together only because we access their API’s in ways that fit our design. We are the designer, and we call the shots. Make your code fit your design, never the other way around.

Happy coding!

mtf out

2 Likes