Missing Something

4. Redacted! Lesson

Earlier, I had some problems creating the code for this, but that's been solved after having a peak at another person's variation of this.

It seemingly behaves how I want it to. It's just not redacting the word I want it to redact multiple times. It stops redacting after the first word that needs to be redacted.

I know, i'm missing a string of code, but I don't know what. Can someone help me with this?

puts "Text to search through : " 
text = gets.chomp
puts "Words to redact : " 
redact = gets.chomp
words = text.split(" ")
words.each do |word|
    if word != redact
    print word + " "
    else
        print "REDACTED"
end
end

Replace this line with your code.

I've recently discovered that after trying different words and sentence combinations for it to redact, I notice that it redacts words how I want it to. (sort of) it just puts REDACTED right in front of another word. It does this : What is life? It is the Chicken. To Redact : is

OUTCOME : What REDACTEDlife? It REDACTEDthe Chicken.

That could possibly be messing it up. And how can I fix my code to where it won't do that?

By adding a single space to "REDACTED ".

Thanks. I needed that.

Okay, now it's working how it's supposed to, but it won't accept my code as an answer. Can you guys see anything wrong with it?

text = gets.chomp
redact = gets.chomp
words = text.split(" ")
words.each do |word|
    if word != redact
    print word + " "
    else
        print "REDACTED "
end
end

I don't see anything wrong with your code, and as you say, it works as expected. Perhaps it just needs to be refreshed and submitted again?

I've tried refreshing and messing with my code and it still won't accept it. I don't know what's going on.

Maybe change up the order in your conditional:

if word == redact:
    print "REDACTED "
else:
    print word + " "
end

That doesn't seem to work either. Yours seems to just cause my code to not work at all. It's strange. It just won't accept my code as an answer. And I don't know why.

Because my code is Python, not Ruby. My bad. Please remove the colons.

This is so frustrating! What am I doing wrong? I've been stuck on this lesson for like a week now and I still don't know what's causing it to not accept it as an answer. I mean, it works how it's supposed to doesn't it? Maybe I need to somehow make it redact the words being printed to the console too?

Current code below + output and error(?).

text = gets.chomp
redact = gets.chomp
words = text.split(" ")
words.each do |word|
    if word == redact
    print "REDACTED "
else
    print word + " "
end
end

INPUT : Text to search through :
is is is
Words to redact :
is
OUTPUT : REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED ["is", "is", "is"]
Error message : Oops, try again. It looks like you didn't print each word from the user's text to the console.

Like I said before, am I missing something?

Your code works and passes for me. Could it be the browser? Do you have an alternate you can try this in, like Firefox or Chrome?

Just tried it in Firefox, and Chrome is what i'm using. Same Result. :confused:

Try using a phrase that does not have the last word redacted?

Try removing white space from before colons?

I'm out of ideas since everything I try to do works so it's difficult to pin down a problem.

For which of the six exercises is this being submitted? Each one has its own submission correctness test (SCT) with different requirements for passing. For the final exercise, anything passes.

@drakentech ,

On my machine, your code from this post passes for Exercise 5: Control Flow Know-How. It does not pass for Exercise 4: Redacted!, because for that exercise, we should just output the same words that are input, without redacting anything.

This modified version of your code does pass Exercise 4: Redacted! on my machine, because it does output each word, as is ...

text = gets.chomp
redact = gets.chomp
words = text.split(" ")
words.each do |word|
    print word
end

@appylpye, that was going to be my next question, but I decided to let someone else jump in. Thanks for your input.

Strange error in Redacted 5/6

Oh, I was getting the notion that it was wanting me to also redact the stuff. Thanks for pointing that out. It works now.

For the fifth exercise, redact the stuff, but not for the fourth one, even though that exercise is named Redacted!.