Mini Linter Step 4

Hi,

I’m fairly new to javaScript, so far I haven’t had too much trouble getting through the projects (I’m currently doing the full-stack engineer career path). But I’m having trouble with my code in the Mini Linter project, at step 4.

For context, I haven’t completed the project yet, here’s the code I wrote so far :

let story = 'Last weekend, I took literally the most beautiful bike ride of my life. The route is called "The 9W to Nyack" and it actually stretches all the way from Riverside Park in Manhattan to South Nyack, New Jersey. It\'s really an adventure from beginning to end! It is a 48 mile loop and it basically took me an entire day. I stopped at Riverbank State Park to take some extremely artsy photos. It was a short stop, though, because I had a really long way left to go. After a quick photo op at the very popular Little Red Lighthouse, I began my trek across the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey. The GW is actually very long - 4,760 feet! I was already very tired by the time I got to the other side. An hour later, I reached Greenbrook Nature Sanctuary, an extremely beautiful park along the coast of the Hudson. Something that was very surprising to me was that near the end of the route you actually cross back into New York! At this point, you are very close to the end.'; let overusedWords = ['really', 'very', 'basically']; let unnecessaryWords = ['extremely', 'literally', 'actually' ]; const storyWords = story.split(' '); //console.log(storyWords.length) const betterWords = storyWords.filter(word => { return !unnecessaryWords.includes(word) }); //console.log(betterWords) let reallyCount = 0; let veryCount = 0; let basicallyCount = 0; for(word of betterWords){ if (word === 'really') { return reallyCount += 1; } else if (word === 'very') { return veryCount += 1; } else if (word === 'basically') { return basicallyCount += 1; } }; console.log("really count : ", reallyCount) let sentences = 0 betterWords.forEach(word => { if(word[word.length-1] === '.' || word[word.length-1] === '!') { sentences+=1 } })

What I’m stuck with right now is this specific part :

let reallyCount = 0;
let veryCount = 0;
let basicallyCount = 0;

for(word of betterWords){
  if (word === 'really') {
    return reallyCount += 1;
  } else if (word === 'very') {
    return veryCount += 1;
  } else if (word === 'basically') {
    return basicallyCount += 1;
  }
};

console.log("really count : ", reallyCount)

Whatever I do the ‘for…of’ doesn’t look like it’s working as it should (see codebyte vs this image of what I get in the console below) and I’m not sure why :

miniLinter

I’m also not sure if this might be the reason why I can’t log anything to the console.

Does anyone has an explanation ? Or can someone point me in the right direction so I can correct the mistake(s) I probably made ?

Thank you in advance!

Hi,

Here word is a variable and you should initialize it:
for(let word of betterWords){

for loops don’t return anything to a calling function and that’s not what you do anyway. You just want to increase the value of a variable you declared outside the for loop – which is fine.

So just remove the return keyword in front of your incrementation:

if (word === 'really') {
   reallyCount += 1;
}

Thank you ! It worked and it finally logs reallyCount to the console.

1 Like