MIni Linter Project

let story = 'Last weekend, I took literally the most beautiful bike ride of my life. The route is called "The 9W to Nyack" and it actually stretches all the way from Riverside Park in Manhattan to South Nyack, New Jersey. It\'s really an adventure from beginning to end! It is a 48 mile loop and it basically took me an entire day. I stopped at Riverbank State Park to take some extremely artsy photos. It was a short stop, though, because I had a really long way left to go. After a quick photo op at the very popular Little Red Lighthouse, I began my trek across the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey.  The GW is actually very long - 4,760 feet! I was already very tired by the time I got to the other side.  An hour later, I reached Greenbrook Nature Sanctuary, an extremely beautiful park along the coast of the Hudson.  Something that was very surprising to me was that near the end of the route you actually cross back into New York! At this point, you are very close to the end.';

let overusedWords = ['really', 'very', 'basically'];

let unnecessaryWords = ['extremely', 'literally', 'actually' ];

let storyWords = story.split(' ');

console.log(storyWords.length);

let betterWords =  storyWords.filter (word => {
  return !unnecessaryWords.includes(word)
});

console.log(betterWords.length);

point 4 

let reallyCount = 0;
let veryCount = 0;
let actuallyCount = 0;

for (word of storyWords) {
  if (word === 'really') {
    reallyCount += 1
  } else if (word === 'very') {
    veryCount += 1
  } else if ( word === 'basically') {
    actuallyCount += 1
  }
  }

let sentencesCount = 0

for (word of storyWords) {
  if (word[word.length - 1] === "." || word[word.length - 1] === "!") {
    sentencesCount += 1
  }
}

console.log("Word Count", storyWords.length);
console.log("Sentences Count", sentencesCount);
console.log("Really appears ", reallyCount);
console.log("very appears ", veryCount);
console.log("Actually appears ", actuallyCount);

console.log(betterWords.joint (" "))

What is wrong with this code above ? I followed the project walkthrough many times and I even tried my own functions and nothing seems to clear up the error screen. Please help!

Have you read what the errors are telling you. They are generally very useful and point out areas that need looking into. A lot of people just ignore them and try and hack away trying to solve the issue but listen to the stacktrace, it’s useful.

So I copied your code and ran it and there’s an error pointing to line 17, unexpected number.

What are you attempting to achieve with point 4? Is that meant to be a comment indicating it’s part 4 of the exercise?

Commenting that out, the next error is pointing to TypeError: betterWords.joint is not a function. I would suggest taking a look at the documentation and looking up the “joint” method…

Look into those and then your code should be fine.

Thank you for your reply. there are some points that that I do not understand in that documentation but i will try to run the exercise from scratch again.