Medical Insurance Project:Difference in Insurance costs(Task 5 and 6)

Url to project: https://www.codecademy.com/paths/data-science/tracks/dscp-python-fundamentals/modules/dscp-python-syntax/projects/ds-python-syntax-project

Hi chaps,

Thanks for the previous help by the community. It really gave me the confidence to continue. My confidence was shot a bit with the struggle to get the code to work.

I am trying to complete task 5 and 6.

Now that we have changed our age value, we want to recalculate our insurance cost. Declare a new variable called new_insurance_cost underneath the expression that increased age by 4.

Make sure you leave the line with the insurance_cost variable the same. We will use it later in our program!
Next, we want to find the difference between our new_insurance_cost and insurance_cost. To do this, let’s create a new variable called change_in_insurance_cost and set it equal to the difference between new_insurance_cost and insurance_cost.

Note: depending on the order that we subtract (eg., new_insurance_cost - insurance cost vs. insurance_cost - new_insurance_cost), we’ll get a positive or negative version of the same number. To make this difference interpretable, let’s calculate new_insurance_cost - insurance_cost. Then we can say, “people who are four years older have estimated insurance costs that are change_in_insurance_cost dollars different, where the sign of change_in_insurance_cost tells us whether the cost is higher or lower.

I am unsure how to proceed.

This my code:

def insurance_cost(age,sex,bmi,num_of_children,smoker):
    return (250 * age) - (128 * sex) + (370 * bmi) + (425 * num_of_children) + (24000 * smoker) - 12500

age = 28
sex = 0
bmi = 26.2
num_of_children = 3
smoker = 0

total_insurance_cost = insurance_cost(age, sex, bmi, num_of_children, smoker)
print("This person’s insurance cost is", total_insurance_cost, "dollars.")
# Age Factor
age+=4

new_insurance_cost = insurance_cost(age, sex, bmi, num_of_children, smoker)
print("This person’s insurance cost is", new_insurance_cost, "dollars.")

print(new_insurance_cost)
new_insurance_cost=input()
print(total_insurance_cost)
total_insurance_cost=input()
change_in_insurance_cost=float(new_insurance_cost)-float(total_insurance_cost)
print("Difference in insurance cost",change_in_insurance_cost)

and the output:

This person’s insurance cost is 5469.0 dollars.
This person’s insurance cost is 6469.0 dollars.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "script.py", line 20, in <module>
    new_insurance_cost=input()
EOFError: EOF when reading a line

I am strugggling with

1. EOF error
    2.Intrepreting the difference based on the changes in the variable
    3.Outputing a string and float to explain this difference.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello! For number one (the EOF error) it is likely because the terminal is not interactive in that particular CC lesson (so it doesn’t accept input). Just assign the variables hard coded values instead of using input() for this project. As for 2 and 3, I don’t quite know what you’re asking.

Thanks for your reply.

I am unsure on answering these tasks:

Now that we have changed our age value, we want to recalculate our insurance cost. Declare a new variable called new_insurance_cost underneath the expression that increased age by 4 .

Make sure you leave the line with the insurance_cost variable the same. We will use it later in our program!

Next, we want to find the difference between our new_insurance_cost and insurance_cost . To do this, let’s create a new variable called change_in_insurance_cost and set it equal to the difference between new_insurance_cost and insurance_cost .

Note: depending on the order that we subtract (eg., new_insurance_cost - insurance cost vs. insurance_cost - new_insurance_cost ), we’ll get a positive or negative version of the same number. To make this difference interpretable, let’s calculate new_insurance_cost - insurance_cost . Then we can say, “people who are four years older have estimated insurance costs that are change_in_insurance_cost dollars different, where the sign of change_in_insurance_cost tells us whether the cost is higher or lower.

This is the revised code but I still have issues with it:

# create the initial variables below
def insurance_cost(age,sex,bmi,num_of_children,smoker):
    return (250 * age) - (128 * sex) + (370 * bmi) + (425 * num_of_children) + (24000 * smoker) - 12500

age = 28
sex = 0
bmi = 26.2
num_of_children = 3
smoker = 0

total_insurance_cost = insurance_cost(age, sex, bmi, num_of_children, smoker)
print("This person’s insurance cost is", total_insurance_cost, "dollars.")
# Age Factor
age+=4

new_insurance_cost = insurance_cost(age, sex, bmi, num_of_children, smoker)
print("This person’s insurance cost is", new_insurance_cost, "dollars.")

def change_in_insurance_cost(a,b):return a-b
#To calculate the difference between the original insurance cost and new insurance cost
a=print(float(new_insurance_cost))

b=print(float(total_insurance_cost))
#Assigning the values of new insurance cost to variable a and values of previous total insurance cost to b
print("Difference in insurance cost","=" ,change_in_insurance_cost)
# BMI Factor

# Male vs. Female Factor

# Extra Practice

And the output:

This person’s insurance cost is 5469.0 dollars.
This person’s insurance cost is 6469.0 dollars.
Difference in insurance cost = <function change_in_insurance_cost at 0x7f86b5b07d08>

Any help will be gladly accepted. Thanks.

With the issue in the code, change_in_insurance_cost is a function, which means you need to call it like this:

some_function(parameter1, parameter2)

The way you’re doing it currently is leaving off the parentheses and parameters, so you’re actually getting the memory address of the change_in_insurance_cost function.

This is simply asking you to declare a variable called new_insurance_cost, and use the new value of age to calculate the cost of insurance for a person whose age is the new value of age. Do it underneath this line

age+=4

This is telling you that you still need the insurance_cost variable, so don’t delete it.

All you need to do here calculate the difference between new_insurance_cost and insurance_cost. How would you do that? Then, save the answer to a variable called change_in_insurance_cost.

With the last one, just print out change_in_insurance_cost, and some words explaining what it is.

1 Like

i’m sorry what you just said just flew over my head.

Can you explain in simple terms with an example?

To call a function (access the return value/make any print statements inside the function actually print), you need to use the following template:

some_function(parameter, parameter)

Notice how brackets () come after the name of the function and inside those brackets are the values you want to assign to the function’s arguments?

If you don’t do that, and you just use the function’s name, like this:

some_function

You are actually getting the memory address of the function-where there function is stored in the computer’s memory.

Ok so how can I make the arguments total_insurance_cost and new_insurance_cost dynamic and not fixed?

Never mind I managed to understand what you meant and I solved the problem. I just pass the variable arguments and created a new variable to store the value.

1 Like