Median

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/python-intermediate-en-rCQKw/2/5

Error: Oops, try again. median([1]) resulted in an error: list indices must be integers, not float.

Can anybody explain me pls, what I ve done wrong? Cause I dont have a clue.

def median(numbers):
    numbers = sorted(numbers)
    median = 0

if len(numbers) % 2 == 0:
        median = (numbers[len(numbers) / 2] + numbers[len(numbers) / 2 - 1]) / 2
    else:
        median = numbers[round(len(numbers) / 2)]

return median

When a list contains only one element, the median is the value at index[0]. Check the length of the list first, and return that value if the length is 1.

The D.R.Y. approach would be to store this value in a variable so the function doesn't have to be repeated four times.

n = len(numbers)
    if n < 1:
        return "Empty list error"
    if n < 2:
        return numbers[0]

Now proceed using n everywhere you have len(numbers). Let us examine your code once the changes are made and we'll see if there are any more issues.

The heck you need that for?

Just simply telling it you want it as an int forces it to truncate the following digits.[

Should look more like

def median(numbers):
    median = 0

if len(numbers) % 2 == 0:
        median = (numbers[int(len(numbers) / 2)] + numbers[int(len(numbers) / 2 - 1)]) / 2
    else:
        median = numbers[int(len(numbers) / 2)]

return median

Remember explicit is better than implicit, meaning you should explicitly convert to the type you need.

I need round(len(numbers) / 2) to find out the middle index of the list. What would be your solution?

I edited the code as you said. Now it looks like this:

def median(numbers):
        median = 0
        n = len(numbers)

if n == 1:
            median = numbers[0]
        else:
            if n % 2 == 0:
                median = (numbers[n / 2] + numbers[n / 2 - 1]) / 2
            else:
                median = numbers[round(n / 2)]

print median
        return median

however now it says: Oops, try again. median([4, 5, 5, 4]) returned 4 instead of 4.5.
I dont really get this.

When a number is rational, that is, an int / int division, Python returns the floor value in the quotient. This line need only read,

median = numbers[n/2]

Eg.

print 7 / 2     # 3

To return a float, divide by a float, 2.0 and your result will be 4.5 as expected in the SCT test.

median = (numbers[n / 2] + numbers[n / 2 - 1]) / 2.0

Oh, now I get it.

So in the first case i want to divide by 2.0 to get a result that is a float. On the other hand in the second case, I want to divide by 2, because I need the result to be floored so that I can achieve the position of the middle index in the list.

Nice! Thank you.

We still need to bear in mind what @zeziba advised about 'implicit' versus 'explicit'. What we have done is implicit. Perhaps okay for this situation but in a longer program we are always better off to not leave any little mysteries floating about.