Median

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/python-intermediate-en-rCQKw/2/5?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096#

My median([4, 5, 5, 4]) returned 4 instead of 4.5

I think everything is right but it just goes wrong. Please help me find what's the problem.

def median(sequence):
    result=0
    s=sorted(sequence)
    if len(s)%2==0:
        result=(s[len(s)/2-1]+s[len(s)/2])/2
    elif len(s)%2==1:
        result=s[(len(s)-1)/2]
    return result

here:

result=(s[len(s)/2-1]+s[len(s)/2])/2

this would result in:

9 / 2

which is 4, the problem is that python floors/round down if the division involves two integers. You will have to use a float, one way or another so python doesn't floor the result, i will leave that for you to figure out

In python 2.x if you divide an int by an int it will round the figure so the output is an int. If you divide an int by a float, even if the output is a whole number the output will be a float.

So given that, all your values are ints and so the output will always be an int and rounded.

Note: should you ever use python 3.x it will automatically output a float if an int divided by another int isn't a whole number.

That should help you, if not this hint from the lesson pretty much tells you exactly what you need to change:

Last but not least, note that (2 + 3) / 2 is not the same as (2 + 3) / 2.0! The former is integer division, meaning Python will try to give you an integer back. You'll want a float, so something like (2 + 3) / 2.0 is the way to go.

Oh! Thanks, it work! I'll remember that.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.