Median - list index out of range

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/python-intermediate-en-rCQKw/2/5?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096#

Title is fairly self explanatory. This code is giving me a 'list index out of range' error, on the test list [4, 5, 5, 4]

def median(numlist):
    sortlist = sorted(numlist)
    if len(sortlist) % 2 == 0:
        inone = sortlist[len(sortlist) / 2]
        intwo = sortlist[inone - 1]
        return inone * intwo / 2
    else:
        if len(sortlist) != 1:
            return sortlist[(len(sortlist) / 2) + 0.5]
        else:
            return sortlist[0]

This might be self-explanatory, but I don't see it that way. Could you explain how inone - 1 is an index?

And how is,

a median?

When you are dividing by 2, Python is forcing the answer to an integer. The expected result is float, so try dividing by a float (i.e. 2.0).

As I understand it-and I could absolutely be wrong-inone becomes the index at [len(sortlist)/2], and so if I subtract one from inone, it then gets the index directly under it.

As for how inone * intwo / 2 is a median, it's taking the average of both values, which (ideally) should be the middle values, thus being the median of the number.

No, it actively gets upset when I try to use a float, at least in the indeces (if that's what you're referring to)

Making the end result a float didn't help either, it's still giving me a list index out of range error.

We take an average of values by adding them up, then dividing the total by the number of terms. You are multiplying, which is wildly different.

4 + 5 = 9
4 * 5 = 20

The size of the sample space has a bearing on where the middle term (or terms) will be. Since the list is zero-indexed, the middle will be,

ss = sorted(sample_space)
n = len(ss)
m = int(n / 2)

The value of m is the middle index of an odd length list. But if we look at an even length list...

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

n = 8
m = 4

You are on the right track as far as the index of the other element in the middle pair, it is indeed, m - 1. In your code you are assigning the value at index m, minus 1 to the other index, rather than m - 1.

We take an average of values by adding them up, then dividing the total by the number of terms. You are multiplying, which is wildly different.

4 + 5 = 9
4 * 5 = 20

The size of the sample space has a bearing on where the middle term (or terms) will be. Since the list is zero-indexed, the middle will be,

ss = sorted(sample_space)
n = len(ss)
m = int(n / 2)

The value of m is the middle index of an odd length list. But if we look at an even length list...

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

n = 8
m = 4

You are on the right track as far as the index of the other element in the middle pair, it is indeed, m - 1.

inone is, as earlier mentioned a value, not an index.

No you are correct, the indices have to be integers. I was referring to the return line, inone * intwo / 2. This is forcing that result to be in integer (4) instead of a float (4.5) which is the expected result. Try (inone * intwo) / 2.0

Edit, also as above it should be addition not multiplication to get the average of the two numbers.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.