return sorted_list[index]
elif len(sorted_list) % 2 == 0:
#even no. of elements
index_1 = len(sorted_list)/2 - 1
index_2 = len(sorted_list)/2
mean = (sorted_list[index_1] + sorted_list[index_2])/2.0
return mean

print median([2, 4, 5, 9])

This code was given as a solution for the ‘Median’ and works fine on the website.
When I use it in my Python IDLE 3.6.2 it gives an error message.
It seems, that this version returns a float even when dividing with an integer.
The index_1 and index_2 variables have to be converted to an integer.
index_1 = int(len(sorted_list)/2 - 1)

Is there an option in the Python IDLE to be set to guarantee a division by an integer returns an integer?

just use the int() around the division you want to become a integer instead of a float:
ex:

print(2/3)
print(int(2/3))

Python 3 differs slightly from Python 2. The more obvious differences are with print (which is now a function) and the way Python treats rationals.

5/3  =>  1                    # Python 2

5/3  =>  1.6666666666666667   # Python 3

In Python 2 we need to explicitly declare a float when computing quotients. Some folks are keen on the idea of using the decimal point to invoke a float…

(a + b) / 2.

while others, such as myself are more bent on using the float() function…

float(a + b) / 2

Either way is fine, of course, and in Python 3 not a requirement. However, now the opposite is true. If we want an integer result in Python 3 we have either to declare it explicity.

int(a / b)

or to use floor division,

a // b

Median
def median(sample):
    s = sorted(sample)
    n = len(s)
    m = n // 2
    return s[m] if n % 2 else float(s[m - 1] + s[m]) / 2

No no no

Stick with integer operations, don’t convert back to int after an approximate operation

Is that a practice thing, or is there a proneness to error?

I understand, that you could use both ways: floor division // instead of regular division / or conversion to int().
This makes the program usable in both versions.

floats are approximations, considering whether an operation is exact is just saying float isn’t the data type you want

return s[m] if n % 2 else float(s[m - 1] + s[m]) / 2

It’s pretty clear which return value is the approximation. I never thought of it in those terms before, and have probably been missing the boat as a result. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

What’s weird is that I comprehend Newtonian approximations. Bringing it into my paradigm didn’t seem to happen.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.