Make a List

Oops, try again. It looks like the rows are not represented as lists.

board = []
for i in range(0, 5):
    board = ["O"] * 4
    board.append("O")

print board

This is what my board looks like

['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']

so im very confused as to what im doing wrong? do i maybe have to concatenate them
 to get rid of the comma? lol maybe ive been at my comp for too long. any help/explanation
 would be greatly received

my code

You're currently printing board five times, print it once and then compare to what it's supposed to be (which is five rows of five columns)

ahh okay so i need to to change the board = ["O"] * 4 line, or maybe add another line to overwrite the the board line. Thanks jonaton your answers are very much appreciated, i always seem to get stuck on the easy stuff. How long have you been coding?

okay so i commented out the line board = ["O"] * 4 and it works and the lesson passed but the result looks like this
[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]
[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]
[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]
[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]
[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'], ['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]

thats not a 5 * 5 grid! im really confused now, can anyone shed some light on this situation

Why do you use the number 4 when the size is 5 in both dimensions?

The last value is a 5x5 list, why are you printing four other values as well?

for some reason it was printing 6 sets of lists so i took one away. ive pushed through to lesson six and now it wants me to put it in a 5*5 grid, it seems i was getting ahead of myself.

As I have a similar problem I attach my question and my not-correct-working-code

board = []
for ocean in range(0,5): #creates 5 empty lists one below the other
    board = (['O']*5) #fill the lists with 5 "O" each
    print board

OUTPUT:

It looks pretty simple but I tried it for quiet a long time (incl. many div. codes with .append())- how can I create instead of 5 separate list one list containing the 5 ones?
I assume the right answer should be:

[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'],
['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'],
['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]

Many thanks!

You'd put five lists in a list. How did you put the O's in the list? You'd do the same thing to put lists in a list

Ok - no idea, I tried it now for hours and have a huge amount of "nearly-correct-working-code" but I no

[['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O'],
['O', 'O', 'O', 'O', 'O']]

:sweat:

other question - is it important that each list of the list is in a separate line?

for ocean in range(0, 5):
board.append(['O'] * 5)
print(board)

works (and I can go on with the next lesson) but the lists are not separate?!?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.