Mad Libs task

Hi! What exactly is the task here?
https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-java/projects/java-variables-mad-libs

Put some whitespace in your code so that the story variable is hidden, and show your friends the code. Have someone else fill in the variables you have declared with the nouns, adjectives, verbs, and names that they like.

Then, run the code to see a new story get told!

What does it mean to ‘hide’ the story variable with whitespaces??
Supposing I’ve managed to get over this, who shall I share my code with?

Thanks,
Pat

I think they mean to put in a lot of \n at the beginning of the story variable string so you’d have to scroll in order to see the output.

You may be right, but they asked “Put some whitespace in your code so that the story variable is hidden, and show your friends the code. Have someone else fill in the variables you have declared with the nouns, adjectives, verbs, and names that they like.”
They want the story variable to be hidden. Not sure how to do that? From my limited info, Whitespace is used to make the code more readable, not to make code disappear. Additionally, they ask for you to not only hide the story variable but also to show your friends your code. So which is it? Show them the code, or hide it? Very confusingly written.

It just means to add blank lines to your code, so the story scrolls down out of sight of the person entering the values the variables are assigned to. That way they can’t read the story while deciding what values to use.
For example:

String verb1 = "stagger";

String story = "Blah blah blah" + verb1 + "blah blah.";
1 Like

i have declared all my variables but it still fails to compile???
where exactly should i put the whitespaces