Looking for help with BASH

Hey all. I am in the ‘learn the command line’ module and feel as if I am missing some foundational information regarding echo, stdin, stout, and sterr as information for these points are either not included or glanced over. Further, when googling it all explanations are for someone with a working understanding. As such, any help understanding them at a foundational level would be appreciated.

Hi,

If you’re looking for basic understanding, I recommend something simple like “Teach Yourself Unix in 24 hours”. man pages are great but they can be daunting for beginners. Even just skimming that book can give you a foundational feel for at least what to google when in need for help.

(here are some tutorial pages : UNIX / Linux Tutorial for Beginners, Bash Guide for Beginners)

More importantly, have a linux shell you can practice on in your computer as hands-on is key for this kind of stuff. That means if you have windows you should look into how to get one… I think WSL is popular? (Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows 10 | Microsoft Docs) I’m not sure …

1 Like

I don’t think it’s right for absolute beginners but the following- Bash One-Liners Explained, Part III: All about redirections helped me wrap my head around standard outputs and redirection with some nice diagrams when so many sources I found skipped or glossed over it. It was definitely a piece of knowledge that helped me tie things together.

+1 for WSL as a nice option to play around with though since you’re only after the shell commands anyway (for now :slightly_smiling_face:).

1 Like