List slicing lesson is buggy

When I submit code for this lesson it prints the message as it should be but in the 'oops' error box.

Post your code, and/or screenshots of this issue.

I would prefer someone from the codeacademy staff make this request.

Why? Don't you want your issue resolved? It's not like I can hack you if you post a screenshot. :slightly_smiling:

@smilofactor

Generally when there is an issue like this it is because you as the user failed to read the instructions OR the website cached a previous response.

What I mean is, does it ask you create a function to return a value or does it ask you to print it out, both will display on the console when called.

Secondly, if the sites cached your previous code it could cause a false-positive in which case a hard reload (SHIFT+F5) should resolve that issue.

I know now one can hack me from a simple screenshot. Is that the prevalent fear today?

Would this not be considered a bug?

I cleared cache and the problem continues.

Hi @smilofactor ,

Hmmm ... interesting. You changed the value of the encrypted message, and assigned that changed value to garbled. Codecademy checks whether the final value of message is consistent with that altered value of garbled.

This, with an altered original value assigned to garbled, passes the test ...

garbled = "!XeXgXaXsXsXeXmX XtXeXrXcXeXsX XeXhXtX XtXoXnX XmXaX XI"
message = garbled[::-2]
print message

Output ...

I am not the secret message!

I did? But even when I press the reset code button the problem remains.
I also tried reloading the page.

All several times.

I guess I have to do it straight with garbled[::-2] and not the way I was doing it.
Because that worked.

Yes, it is best to leave the value of garbled as it was originally. Calculate the result and assign it to message.