List index out of range

Hi, I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone know why this code isn’t working? Thanks

n = [3, 5, 7]

def print_list (x):
	for i in range(0, len(n)):
  		print x[i]

It keeps saying list index out of range and I don’t know why
Thanks

FAQ: Learn Python – Lists and Functions – Printing out a list item by item in a function
FAQ: Learn Python – Lists and Functions – Printing out a list item by item in a function

if we add a function call:

n = [3, 5, 7]

def print_list (x):
	for i in range(0, len(n)):
  		print x[i]

print_list([3])

we can see where it goes wrong, the problem is that len(n) will give 3, even if you pass a smaller list as argument to function call

I tried copying your code, and it still didn’t work, but i replaced the 3 on the last line with n and it worked!!

Thank you so much for your help

i would never post code that is the solution, my code was to add a function call so you could see the error message in the output window. Combined with some explanation to help you

do you understand why this works?

I think it takes the amount of values in the n list, so would make sure that the function only runs while there are more values in the list to print, but I don’t know for sure. Is that why it works or is it because of something different?

yes, but you don’t want this. Given you want to be able to pass a list of any size to the function.

understanding what x (function parameter) is, how it works, and how function arguments work is crucial:

n = [3, 5, 7]

# function with parameter x
def print_list (x):
    for i in range(0, len(x)):
        print x[i]

# function calls with arguments
print_list(n)
print_list([3])
print_list([2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12])

here is some code for you to study.

ok thanks,
I don’t really understand what you mean to change, as when I added extra values to the n list, it still printed all the values.

Also with the example code you posted, does the first function call run the function normally, replacing all the x’s with values in the n list, with the second one saying to run replacing x with n up to the 3rd item in the list, and does the 3rd one replace n in the function with the items at the places in the list that you list seperated by the commas?

because you changed len(n) to len(x), go change it back to len(n), see what happens. You will get errors, comment out print_list([3]), then you will see print_list([2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12]) won’t print all its values

replace is not the right term here, function parameters get there values from arguments at function call. We just assign a different value to x every time.

Ok, thank you so much, I think I get it now :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.