List + Functions = confusing but I got it

I'm going through the exercises as I can but some things are either not explained or vaguely hinted at and it's throwing me off. As a result I seem to be overcomplicating my code. The "List + Functions" part had me confused and searching only gave me results that confused me even more.

In the exercise it does not specify that you create the list for "fizz_count()" to use yet forums topics had people creating variables for it and when I tried it would throw up an error. In the end I used the code below and saw that the exercise itself gives input to the code. Why is this not stated clearly? I can't be the first person to be confused by this although I am the first in the recent posts it seems.

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/python-beginner-en-IZ9Ra/0/4?curriculum_id=4f89dab3d788890003000096#

At one point I was so close but I was adding more code instead of making sure what I had written was correct. It turns out that my problem was having

for item in x:
        if item == "fizz":
            count = count + 1
            return count

instead of

for item in x:
        if item == "fizz":
            count = count + 1
    return count

I know it's not a question that can be answered with "oh it's this" but I am wondering why do some exercises leave out key details like the fact that the exercise will be giving your code input and it isn't shown on screen? Am I missing something? I am more than willing to admit I may have missed something obvious but it seems like a lot of other people just created the input. I'm trying to learn this but it feels like the instructions could be explained more clearly.

# Write your function below!
def fizz_count(x):
    count = 0
    for item in x:
        if item == "fizz":
            count = count + 1
    return count

Thank you soooo much i was having the same problem! I didn't know they already defined "item". Thanks for the help!

I'm glad it helped. I wonder if the exercises are written by people very familiar with the code because they assume too much sometimes and my simple brain encounters an error it can't continue past.

Thank you a second time -- Confusing that I could not figure out where the wrong "fizz" counts were coming from if not in my list, especially since I didn't use "buzz" at all & couldn't initialize or overwrite it... Mystery solved, moving on...

thanks a bunch. Same problem and issue as you had, so you are not alone haha

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.