Linking a main javascript file to an external drive or Dropbox?

Hi Everyone,

I am not sure if this is a question for this forum, so please bear with me.

On a folder on my desktop, I have a .jx file that links to expressions code that changes the copy and colors in an Adobe After Effects project.

I moved this folder to an external drive in order to be able to work on multiple computers. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, After Effects will not reference the document I’m pointing it to.

So, my question for the javascript experts here is this: Can I link After Effects to a javascript file on an external drive (or Dropbox) or does it have to remain on my desktop?

For example, right now the code that is working looks like this:

‘/Users/taradevlin/Desktop/ae-projects/alerts/template-profiles/default-alert.js’;

The code that AE won’t see (on an external drive) looks like this:

‘/Volumes/freelance-projects-backup/ae-projects/alerts/template-profiles/default-alert.js’;

Does anyone know if this can be done?

I’m sure I’m not the only person who has encountered this. I’m not a javascript expert, clearly (yet!).

Thank you all for any help or direction.

Best,

Tara

I have no experience with adobe aftereffects, but dropbox should act as a normal folder on your computer. Since it is just a folder that keeps itself updated.
So opening a file in aftereffects should be possible by just finding the right directory.

If this directory is not found it is probably the wrong one.

The standard drop box directory starts something like this:
C:\Users{username}\Dropbox\

Hi! Thank you for the reply. Yeah… it’s weird. It should be able to see whatever .js file I’m pointing to. If you say that it should work, I’m wondering if it is actually not a code issue, but a thing with After Effects. I think I’ll post the question to the Adobe forums and see what they say.

Thank you again!

Best,

Tara

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to update this in case someone else has the same question.

I was able to get this to work.

As biirra said, if the code is written correctly, it should work even if it points to an external drive or dropbox. Well, I ended up downloading a little app called “path snagger” and the path that it copied worked.

There were a few “” in there that I wouldn’t have put in myself.

For example - this is the path that worked. So I guess the app copied it correctly.

‘/Users/taradevlin/Dropbox/FREELANCE\ PROJECTS\ (Selective\ Sync\ Conflict)/ae-projects/alerts/template-profiles/default-alert.js’;

Thank you for all your help!

Best, Tara