Lesson #23-why is my string incorrect?

I have the following to pull out just Jan in "January"

console.log("January".substring(0,3));

but I keep getting an Oops..didn't select correct substring for January
if I make this a comment by adding // in front of console, the rest of my coding works..

Can you post all of your code? It will be easier to pinpoint any possible errors.

You said:

I have the following to pull out just Jan in "January"

At first, I thought you were printing Janu.

You've requested to extract a substring starting at index 0 through 3. If you count from zero to three, you will end up with four characters. J is 0, a is 1, n is 2, and u is 3. However, according to specifications listed on Mozilla Developer's Network, the ending range is not included, so it would only print index 0 through 2.

After seeing pbawler's response, I decided to run both your code and pbawler's... and the below does print out "Jan". I also do not receive any errors from the console or Codecademy.

Do you mind sharing your complete code as it is listed on the script.js window, as well as the output of the Console?

same problem here.......the following is my code
console.log("january".substring(0,3));
console.log("melbourne is great".substring(0,13));
console.log("Hamburgers".substring(3,10));

from the output windows i can see what is printed is correct,so whats the problem

console.log("january".substring(0,3));
console.log("melbourne is great".substring(0,13));

The evaluation on each string is case sensitive.
After changing "january" and "melbourne" on your code, I was able to proceed to the next lesson.

console.log("Melbourne is great".substring(0,13));

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.