Leave out type="text/javascript"

HTML5 makes

type="text/javascript"

optional because browsers default to it. Why doesn't Codecademy leave it out?

The main reason for including it would be to support browsers that do support HTML5. Additionally, not all user agents support HTML5. Until everything is caught up (meaning older technologies no longer in use) there is a marginal need for this declaration. The main thing is it does not affect anything, either way in HTML5 browsers. They just ignore the attribute.

HTML5 has been around quite awhile. Which browsers don't support it?

We all know the answer to that. Browsers are not the real issue since there has been universal support of the idea to not support older IE. But we forget there are millions of pieces of equipment in the hands of users with accessibility challenges. Old equipment that costs thousands to replace; thousands they don't have, so they keep the equipment running as long as it will.

@mtf Do you know about accessibility equipment? I want to learn. What accessibility equipment would not support HTML5?

Older screen readers, for one. Those programs are very costly and most people I know that use it were only able to acquire it and the equipment they needed with government grants and support from CNIB. That is not a trough one can loop back to very often. Eventually the old stuff will no longer be in use, but that is a sunset that is difficult to predict.

Accessibility is important to me, so I gathered information from multiple sources.

Here are a couple of articles from different years that compare screen readers. The first is from an accessibility blogger, Becka11y, who does her own research. The article is dated 2016, and shows the improved interpretation of websites using HTML5: Screen Reader Support for New HTML5 Section Elements

The 2nd article is by Leonie Watson (aka Tink). She is thoroughly involved in the web standards community, and is losing (has lost?) her eyesight. The date is 2013. It, too, compares screen readers and reveals their improved interpretation of websites using HTML5: Screen Reader Support for HTML5 Sections

Just to verify that my research represented real people, I got information from more people who actually use screen readers. You have to use a version from 2011 to have incompatibility problems with HTML5. And if it can't interpret HTML5, it has other problems as well!

I can now reach 2 conclusions: 1) HTML4 is for screen readers about 6 years old and older. 2) HTML5 helps the visually impaired interpret websites.

The edge cases are dwindling, though we have to admit it is one or two steps behind the norm. I would agree that the time frame has taken us out of the woods, but we are still in the bramble and meadows.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.