Learning Curve

Hello Everyone,
I’m new to coding and software development. How. does one succeed in a course of learning something brand new? I have taken two online courses and one hybrid course throughout my academic career. What are some pointers you can recommend throughout this process of learning? I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

2 Likes

Hey!
Welcome to the forums! I completely get what you’re saying. I’ve had the same thoughts before. In my opinion, the most important thing is to take it slow. Of course it really depends on who you are and how you work, but if you over-study you’ll tire yourself out and will lose the motivation to continue coding.

There’s also a discord server for codecademy. There’s a forum about it somewhere though it’s not very active. Quite useful though if you want to make friends learning the same language as you. I’m learning javascript at the moment and one thing I’ve found is that if you want to fully understand what you’re being taught, you still need to do a bit of research to broaden your knowledge. The forums are a great place to ask questions too. I see this was posted 2 hours ago, but questions can sometimes be answered in a matter of minutes if you’re lucky, so don’t hesitate to ask questions if you’re stuck.

In conclusion, just take it slow, do some research, don’t be afraid to ask for help. A coding buddy might be of some use too. There are a few ways to find one such as joining a group of coders etc. As was just pointed out to me a little while ago, there are ‘meetups’. Check this link out if you’re interested https://community.codecademy.com

Obviously other people will have some stuff to add to this. I’m fairly new too, but I thought I’d share my thoughts since I’ve had/are having the questions as you :slight_smile:

Extra tip:
When posting code, press the < / > button on the top. It makes code easier to read when posted. Here’s an example in javascript:

let name = 'Mark';
if (name === 'Mark') {
  console.log('Oh hi, Mark')
}
4 Likes

I think it helps to define a goal first, because we usually use “success” as a metric of how we achieved our goals. Are you learning to code to get a promotion at your job? Or you are curious about coding and would like to work on a few personal project? Perhaps you have decided to get a job in tech (how exciting!)?.

It can be difficult to define success only based on how much information you are absorbing because nobody knows everything, and a lot of professional devs spend a great deal of time planning and reading documentation, not actually typing code. So memorizing everything is nice, but does that make you successful? That’s why I think it’s better to be goal-oriented :smile:

2 Likes

Hello Galds,
Thank you so much for your input on this information. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to explain everything thoroughly. This has helped me a lot throughout learning about Python. I love how you have added an extra tip. :slight_smile:

No problem. I’m happy it helped :slight_smile:

Thank you for replying to my post. I appreciate your input.
I learning code to gain a skill for a career change. I would like to create a few personal projects for the D/deaf and Hard of Hearing community as well as the Blind community. I was considering memorizing the languages to help me with the process… But I realized throughout attending the classes it requires a lot of practice and through the process of a lot of errors.

1 Like

Yeah! Well, they are programming languages so you could think of learning to code like learning to speak a foreign language. There’s vocabulary, nouns, verbs, etc. and it’s not just about understanding it, but also being able to speak it. You have to practice using it, right? I find the same is very true with coding. If you keep learning lessons and never take the time to practice and speak it, you’ll find yourself not sure of what you’ve learned.

1 Like

I personally think anyone can code. I have some college friends who are D/deaf and Hard of Hearing that are working minimum paid jobs. Which isn’t a bad thing… However, I can see them succeed through coding if they had the right guidance throughout this process. I have done extensive research on Youtube. with tutorials and personally being self taught. Majority of these videos are in English. I would like the learning process of code to be more accessible.