Learned so much, don't know how to use it

Hey, im 17 years old and i’ve been learning python for a year now. 100% finished with the “computer science” path, half done with “data scientist” .
recently i felt like im learning programming the complete wrong way.
ive learned so much, so much syntax, ideas and challenges but i think i havent even done ONE real project with my programming. im half way through machine learning and regex, done with data structures and havent even made a calculator!
i dont know to use this knowledge for, whenever i go into my own IDE to write some code, i dont know what to write, what to start and where to start.
im a bit lost, i really really need help.
thank u :frowning:

Hi, welcome to the forums.

The only way to fail is to not try, right?
If you’re on the DS path, find some data that interests you (there are tons of public data sets out there. Look at Kaggle to begin with or, just google, “free public data sets”. NYCOpen data has some neat ones.) and have a question in mind that you might want to test or predict. Or, just do some basic EDA (exploratory data analysis) to start with.
There are really so many options out there.
Check out Google Colab, it’s an alternative to Jupyter Notebook. It’s cloud-based and very similar to Jupyter. Push your code to Github and share it. Or, post one of your DS projects here too.
The possibilities are endless! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums :slight_smile: ,

I have felt like that before. When that happens, what I do is I find some sort of open coding group, and do a group project with other people that fits my needs. After that I feel like I have put to use what I learned.

2 Likes

There’s plenty of fairly well known projects you could take a pop at should you need a little inspiration. You mentioned a calculator so why not start there? As mentioned by @lisalisaj there’s plenty of projects available from cc both as part of the course and some of the challenge projects or do a quick web search for possible projects. There are several resources devoted to things like this, find one you like and get cracking.

Once you have a few put together you’ll start realising that perhaps you could improve one project by introducing the library you just learnt or if you rearranged project b into a series of classes it’d be much simpler to work with.

I think both the lessons and more involved projects kind of feed off one another (one gives reason to another) and you may start to feel like you’ve actually achieved something which is something that you might not get by just progressing through lessons alone. Sometimes the mix of the two is the motivation you need. I’d actually suggest taking a wee break from the course, writing a few simple projects now and then consider updating them as your knowledge is expanded.

2 Likes