Learn Python Datetime Video Tutorial: enviornment setup

I am trying to complete the Python Datetime video tutorial but there is no information provided on setting up a work enviornment. The instructions are non-existent to vague and i’m not sure how to follow along if i don’t know where to start. Instructions like open the teriminal is not very helpful Which terminal? My windows terminal, pycharm terminal, vscode terminal. It would have been nice if before presenting this segment that there was some information provided as to how to set up the workspace so that one could actually follow the tutorial as opposed to my current situation of trying to divine through the tea leaves exactly what i am supposed to be doing.
If I missed the section on the appropriate set up please point me in the right direction. if not, some specific guidance on where to begin would be much appreciated as I am tired of spinning my wheels as wasting my time.

Is this in the DS or DA path? Link to the specific part of the lesson you’re referring to?

Assuming you’ve already installed Python3? (Windows OS, yes?)

HI and thank you for your super fast response!

I’m not sure that it is either the DA or DS path, but i am certain it is from the Learn Python series, which may overlap those two paths. Regardless, the following is a link to the excercise i am having issues with.
Using Datetimes in Python 3

I have several iterations of Python 3 i believe on my operating system including PyCharm, VS Code, Anaconda(which is more of a catchall) I think the instructor is using VSCode. I am somewhat familiar with VS Code but I admit i am a complete novice at setting up a work environment. is there a tutorial on that? That would be very beneficial in addition to helping me set this one up. lol

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 Like

You might have different versions of Python3 installed (ie: 3.8, 3.10) but, PyCharm is an IDE (integrated development environ.) and VS Code is a code editor. Not to be confused with Visual Studio, which is an IDE. Anaconda is a Python (and R) distribution which helps with package management and deployment.
You can write and execute Python code in a Jupyter Notebook or on Colab as well.

I’ve not seen* this video but to me, it seems a bit out of place in the course (IMO). In the video, he’s using a text editor and he’s on a mac, so he’s using the Terminal app. to write and execute his code.
Don’t get me wrong…it’s good to know the datetime module, especially if you’re dealing with dates in a dataset. (You could use Pandas to change the datatype and extract month, day, year, time from the particular column). AND, it’s vital to understand how to navigate the Python docs and see what functions do (strftime(), strptime()). But, the placement of the video seems odd. * [Update: I watched some of it and again, it’s not really clear why the tutorial was placed at this juncture in the course. But, I digress].

Let me ask a couple questions first.

• how are you using or plan on using python? for DS/DA, yes?
  • you’re on Windows, so, how did you install Python? Using Anaconda I presume?

To check the version of python, you can type python --version in the command line (or powershell).

I think the next video in the syllabus is setting up Pipenv. There are a ton of questions & answers here in the forums about that. So if you’re stuck, you can search.
There is much confusion about pipenv–mostly b/c I don’t think the instructions are too clear and the background reasoning for it is a bit fuzzy.