Learn Intermediate Java. Learn Java is not its only prerequisite, is it?

Folks, I have an issue with the Learn Intermediate Java course. I hoped it would be a continuation of Learn Java, but it seems to be built on something more than that! Besides, it contain at least one inaccuracy. A few examples (I just started it)

• In 1.2 Codecademy says: “System.out.println() prints output to a new line.” No, it doesn’t! It prints and then adds a new line. What is written in parentheses is not necessarily “printed to a new line”

• In the same section, it told me to “import the Java IO class” which I hadn’t been taught (it would teach me to do so in 1.4)

• In 1.3, I was asked to use the .next() method which I hadn’t been taught

• In 1.4, I was asked to “throw an IOException”. They had taught me what an exception is in Learn Java, but not what “throwing” an exception means and why and how I am supposed to do it

• In 1.4, Codecademy writes this piece of code. Why should i be (not) equal to -1? What is (char), exactly? Not the datatype itself, but putting it in front of a variable in parenthese

int i = 0;
// A loop to access each character
while((i = inputFile.read()) != -1) {
// Printing each character as it’s reached
System.out.print((char)i);

I don’t know, I’m a bit disappointed at this sloppiness. Any thoughts?..

Yea, I had to look some stuff up online for those lessons too;
I agree that some of those lessons expect you to know stuff that wasn’t in the “Introduction to Java” course.

And in 3.2, they used “it’s” instead of “its” :man_facepalming:. It just gives away their lack of care during the preparation of the course (so it’s not just a typo to me)

Call System.out.println() to print wordContainers data field using it’s getter.

Call System.out.println() to print bookContainers data field using it’s getter.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.