Learn Intermediate Java Beta

Welcome to the beta release for Learn Intermediate Java!
You can find a link to the course here.

Why take this course?
This course was built as an extension to the Learn Java course. It builds off of the fundamental Java concepts in Learn Java and teaches more complex language features that learners should know. This includes I/O, generics and serialization, threading, and JUnit testing.

To that end allow me to introduce @gramadrama who worked to create this course. They’re here to answer any questions you have.

As a reminder, you can find an explanation of the process for beta testing here.

6 Likes

Would I be correct in assuming that a formal lesson on IO in Java is forthcoming? The quiz sort of came out of nowhere.

Overall, I like the content and I think it is presented in a straightforward way. That being said, I’ve already learned these topics from other platforms, so I’m not seeing these concepts for the first time.

My main constructive criticism is that while the lessons are clear, the examples we code for the tasks seem a little contrived. They illustrate the concepts well, but they don’t necessarily tip you off to how you might use them in a project. I’m a teacher by trade so I understand that contrived examples are often the best way to illustrate something at first, so I actually like the examples and tasks as they are. But there isn’t a more real-life type of scenario at the end that helps transition the learner to a more contextual environment.

You may very well have a project(s) that is forthcoming that addresses all of this, and if so, then that’s great and I think the end product will be very good. If not, I think that a project or 2 would be a great addition to eventually make to the course to tie it all together.

Hi! You are correct, there will be a lesson and project for the IO module when the course launches in the next week or so. There will also be projects in each module as well as an off-platform project at the end of the course that covers JUnit testing in your own environment.

Thank you so much for taking the Beta course and leaving your feedback, we hope you like the finished product!

Awesome! I look forward to seeing it :partying_face:

1 Like