Learn CSS: Typography

Good day guys , i have an enquiry regarding Exercise 14 of Learn CSS: Typography.
I would appreciate your help alot.

Here is the link : https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-css-typography/lessons/css-typography/exercises/linking-fonts-i?action=resume_content_item&course_redirect=learn-css

Instructions
Linking Fonts I
With the number of fonts available with modern typography, it is unrealistic to expect users to have all fonts installed on their computers. New fonts are often centralized in directories made available for public use. We refer to these fonts as non-user fonts.

Google Fonts is one such directory of thousands of open-source fonts, available for free use. Google Fonts gives us a way to retrieve the link for a single font, multiple fonts, or multiple fonts with the font-weight and font-style properties.

We’ll show you where to add this link in the next exercise.

Question1: I am aware of the procedure to retrieve the necessary links, however my question is how are we suppose to know which are the fonts that users already have installed on their computers? To be on the safe side, is it possible to assume that some users may not have the more older and basic fonts (such as Garamond) installed on their computers?

The installed fonts should be listed for each operating system, so do a search and see what surfaces. Garamond has been available since Windows 98, if I’m not mistaken.

Another consideration is whether the user has Office or Word, which installs more fonts on top of the OOB fonts that come with the OS.

Fallback fonts can be Arial & Helvetica, for sans-serif, Times, for serif, ‘Comic Sans MS’ or perhaps ‘Lucida Handwriting’, for cursive, Impact for fantasy. and ‘Courier New’ for monspace.

Late addendum: The generic family name is always notwithstanding. That goes without saying.

Thanks for the revert! Did a little research into it and here is what i found:

According to WIKI
An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs.

The dominant desktop operating system is Microsoft Windows with a market share of around 82.74%. macOS by Apple Inc. is in second place (13.23%), and the varieties of Linux are collectively in third place (1.57%).

In the mobile (smartphone and tablet combined) sector, use in 2017 is up to 70% of Google’s Android and according to third quarter 2016 data, Android on smartphones is dominant with 87.5 percent and a growth rate 10.3 percent per year, followed by Apple’s iOS with 12.1 percent and a per year decrease in market share of 5.2 percent, while other operating systems amount to just 0.3 percent.

October 2017 worldwide webbrowsing share
Place Mobile system Desktop system
1 Android (73%) Windows (83%)
2 iOS (20%) OS X (13%)
3 Nokia (1%) Linux (2%)
4 Windows (1%) Chrome OS (1%)

For Desktops:
1.Windows : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_typefaces_included_with_Microsoft_Windows

2.OS X : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_typefaces_included_with_macOS

Will continue to research more into this , thanks :slight_smile:

Actually i didn’t quite get you there, do you mind to elaborate further? Referring to this “The generic family name is always notwithstanding”

No matter how far back we go in attempting to cater to all systems, there is always a chance we might find an outlier. For that, generic family names are the only fallback.

Times, serif
Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif
Courier, monospace
"Comic Sans MS", cursive
Impact, fantasy

These would be the tail end of a font-family property value option list, always ended by the generic family name.

Got it, just to check will all my posts and replies from fellow code campers be saved under the “Activity” tab? Or will they be automatically deleted after a period of time?

Nothing is automatically deleted, just closed for further discussion to keep old topic threads from being bumped to the top by passers by.

The only thing that is deleted periodically are posts or topics that offer little of value to the consuming public; things that we don’t need coming up in search results.

If a topic of your own, or one of some importance needs to be reopened with new evidence or matter for discussion, any moderator can reopen it upon request.

Is there anyway to know if any of my posts or codecamper’s reply had been deleted on purpose or by accident by the moderator? Just worried as down the road i would like to revise back on the questions i have had. If i can’t remember which particular topic/thread had been deleted, i will not be able to even make the reopen request to the moderator

This is far more than one can elaborate on. Nobody keeps track of these things. You are left to monitor your own posts.

Not wiithout a post URL, no. Closed posts are still litsted so if you have the topic in front of you but it is closed, you have the URL that needs to be opened. That’s where mods come in.

Good day mtf, i was looking through the installed fonts that came with Microsoft Windows XP and according to Wikepedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_typefaces_included_with_Microsoft_Windows , the first Windows version for the font Aharoni is Windows 10.

I did a crosschecked against Microsoft page itself and noticed that it had already appeared since Windows 2000.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/font-list/index
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/font-list/aharoni

Is this an error on wiki, or am i missing something here?

That is well beyond my ability to answer, hence the vagueness of my earlier relply.

Bumpz is anyone out there able to help on this?

Windows 2000 was an enterprise version that replaced Windows NT, also an enterprise version, neither one of which would be in the hands of everyday consumers. We cannot assume that any fonts it came bundled with were available in consumer OS versions. As mentioned earlier, MS typically bundled specialty fonts with Office to spread the licensing cost across multiple products. Fonts cost money, and in order to keep the cost of the operating within reason, MS opted to limit the number offered.

The main thing is that you can declare any fonts you like just so long as you also consider suitable substitutes, in order of preference and end your list with the core font and generic family.

That’s a good enough answer for me, thanks mtf!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.