Laptop specs for beginner

Hi guys,

I’m about to buy my a new laptop to attend a web developer course. Speaking with my friend of mine he recommend me a Lenovo Thinkpad L15 gen 1 with the following specs:

Intel Core i5-10210U Processor (1.60GHz, up to 4.20GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 6MB Cache)
16GB DDR4 3200MHz SoDIMM
256GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2280, PCIe-NVMe, OPAL2.0, TLC

So far so good and I’m happy with the above but I’d like your point of view anyway…the doubt is about the display mainly, which i can choose between:

15.6" HD(1366x768) TN Anti-Glare 220nits Non-Touch
15.6" FHD(1920x1080) IPS Anti-Glare 300nits Touch

The second one is £60 more expensive, but reading online I started doubting that a better resolution would be a better choice, what do you think?

Thank you guys!

Out of these two options, I would 100% go with the 1920x1080 one. I don’t know if you plan on using a 2nd screen with your laptop while you’re at home, but the extra screen real estate between the two displays you listed is going to be very important to you. Sometimes you’ll have documentation and your code editor side-by-side, sometimes your code editor and a browser, and so many more scenarios where even if you’re only focusing on one application you’d want more space.

Thank you very much for your help!! Would be a laptop that you recommend in the end? I’m happy to hear your advises if you think i should go for something different instead of this one! thanks!

+1 for this. In this day and age, FHD should be the norm - and regardless of the use case, I would never recommend to anyone a display that was smaller than that.

(I do have a laptop which is only 1366 x 768, but I bought it over 7 years ago. It’s still perfectly capable of doing what I need it to, after I upgraded it with an SSD, so I’m not replacing it until it fails completely.)

That machine is comparable spec to the systems that our developers use where I work, so I would imagine you’ll be fine with it. :slight_smile: