Kivy lessons

Hi, I would like to start making apps with the Kivy module in python.
Anyone know about a good site or app for learning how to do that?
thanks!

@thunder_coder,

It’s great to see someone interested in using Kivy on here! You can make some excellent apps with Python and Kivy and I think it’s somewhat underutilized as most people think of building apps with Java, Swift, C#, etc.

If you are serious about building apps with Kivy, there are a few things you should know.

• First, you will have to read a lot of documentation. Because the Kivy community is relatively small, you may not be able to find answers to all your questions through Google. That being said, the Kivy community is very passionate and will do their best to help you out if you get stuck and need some guidance.

• Second, if you want to build an app with Kivy, make sure you have a solid grasp on classes and OOP in Python. If you aren’t comfortable working with classes, building with Kivy will very difficult. Also, take into consideration that the Kivy design language is its own language with its own quirks. You will need to learn this language and how it interacts with Python.

• Third, make sure you have access to a computer with the operating system you need. You can design your app on Windows if you want, but Kivy uses Buildozer to package the apps for mobile. Currently Buildozer works on Linux and Mac, so you need to have access to a Linux or MacOS computer to compile for Android and you need a MacOS computer to compile for iOS. Virtual machines work, if you want to set one up, and you can rent a Mac in the cloud, but that does cost and there will be some lag.

• Finally, if you’re planning on using KivyMD to have a Material Design compliant app, make sure you are fairly comfortable with Kivy first. Kivy MD is based on Kivy and while some design aspects are much easier to implement, if you don’t understand what is going on under the hood you’re going to spend a lot of time trying to figure out why your code did what it did.

If you’re still ready to dive in, I suggest you start with the Getting Started and Pong Game Tutorial from Kivy. Then, check out these Youtube tutorials:

Good luck and happy coding!

1 Like

Hi @el_cocodrilo, thanks a lot for the edvice, I’m gonna look in to that!