[Kelvin weather] Can't pin point the problem, it seems identical to other people code, but doesn't work

Hello,
I’m terribly new so sorry if I picked wrong format and you can let me know if I should ask questions next time differently.
The thing is that I seemed to write a code and it didn’t work, checked hints and it seems to be exactly as I have written it. Checked forums and found exactly the same codes that work, but mine for some reason don’t. I could copy other peoples code, but I want to learn for myself, why my code doesn’t work, am I missing something?

Thank you for your time in advance.

//Today’s forcast is 293 Kelvin.
const kelvin = 293;
//To get celcius, subract 273 from kelvin.
const celsius = kelvin - 273;
//Calculate fahreinheit you need formula.
let fahreinheit = celcius * (9/5) + 32;
//To round up number
fahreinheit = Math.floor(fahreinheit);
console.log(The temperature is ${fahreinheit} degrees Fahreinheit.);
const newton = Celsius * (33/100);
newton = Math.floor(newton);
console.log(The temperature is ${newton} degrees Newton.);

hi. double check your console.log() statement. if you use {} to access variables you should wrap your code in backtick.

I did use (`) for some reason when it was coppied into a text, they were removed.
The problem starts from this line: let fahreinheit = celcius * (9/5) + 32; (at least as far as I managed to understand by removing one line at the time to see when the code works)

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

I notice a couple issues:

1. You use 3 different spellings and/or letter casing for ‘celsius’, so they all are treated like different variables: celsius, celcius, and Celsius. Need to be consistent with one of them
  2. You declare newton as a const, but then you try to change the value of it. You could either use let instead of const so JavaScript won’t be angry about the value changing, or you could integrate the call to Math.floor() on the line you are setting the value
2 Likes

Thank you so much. I thought that was some stupid misspelling error on my part ^^

2 Likes

I’m having an error with my console.log() print out from my Newton conversion. I used the Math.floor() method exactly the same way as I did for the Fahrenheit conversion, but I am still getting decimal places in my Newton conversion (6.6000000000000005). Any idea as to why this is happening?

//Today’s temperature is 293 kelvin
const kelvin = 293;
//celsius is found by subtracting 273 from the kelvin temperature
let celsius = kelvin - 273;
//this is the equation that converts celsius to fahrenheit
let fahrenheit = celsius * (9/5) + 32;
//This line of code rounds the number down to a whole number
fahrenheit = Math.floor(fahrenheit);
console.log(The temperature is ${fahrenheit} degrees Fahrenheit);
//convert to newton
let newton = celsius * (33/100);
//Round down
Newtown = Math.floor(newton);
console.log(The Temperature is ${newton} degrees Newton.);

You used Math.floor() but you saved it to a different variable (similar name but JavaScript still sees it as different), and then you printed out the original value:

1 Like