Javascript

Hii. New to JS. Any suggestions to keep in mind before I go on with the course? Or any topics or extra reading to give before this.

Thanks

I think the JavaScript course is good for new people. I think you can just get started

I can only highly recommend to also use MDN (mozzila developers network), this website (link) has extensive documentation on javascript (as well as some tutorials).

you can also simple use google to find something on MDN, simply include MDN in your search query

and as you have discovered, there is a forum where you can ask questions or search for existing questions (with answers/explanations) about a specific exercise

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I will keep those points in mind.

1 Like

Not so much before learning JS, but alongside: W3Schools is a great resource for reference (in addition to MDN, of course). And once you get more experience, W3 has lots of practical examples of DOM manipulation, as well as other practical HTML/CSS too (DOM is the Document Object Model, aka how to manipulate the webpage with javascript. Don’t worry about it too much yet, it’ll come up and it’s not quite as scary as it may sound or look when you’re new). Codecademy’s DOM unit is super light, and not terribly focused on practical applications.

I’d also recommend learning HTML and at least the basics of CSS if you haven’t already. Probably before or at least alongside JavaScript unless you’re doing the backend career path.

1 Like

I feel JS is probably the current most useful language on the internet, and I have a feeling it will be around for a very long time. JS is so useful because it has so many ways to be used, and yes it would be really good if you learned HTML and CSS alongside it.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I have started the course. I’ll definitely remember your points and implement them.

Thank you so much for your reply. I have started out the course and I’ll definitely remember your points.

I am not use fan of w3schools, don’t know how it was know, but was awful couple years ago. People then created this website:

https://www.w3fools.com/

to warn people of w3schools, the main problems seemed to be that they didn’t want to mention that they are not related to w3c and some of the examples where outdated and there was no way to submit feedback.

So i have been avoiding w3schools for the last couple of years, so don’t know how it is now. Just be careful.

its not like there are many alternatives. But there are other options besides front-end development.

Yeah, what I mean to say is that it is widely used, and might be the most useful to know at the current time.

That’s good to know. That said, W3Fools seems to to think they’ve gotten better, but I understand your wariness. I wouldn’t recommend anyone use W3Schhols by itself, but it’s been very helpful for me.

Today, W3Schools has largely resolved these issues and addressed the majority of the undersigned developers’ concerns. For many beginners, W3Schools has structured tutorials and playgrounds that offer a decent learning experience. Do keep in mind: a more complete education will certainly include MDN and other reputable resources.

I use it alongside MDN, of course.

1 Like

that is certainly possible, because like I said, I avoid w3schools, so not entirely sure what the state it today. For me personally, once the trust is broken, earning it back is really difficult.

So just wanted to mention that some caution might (or might not) be needed.