Javascript Reading for Full Stack Engineer Course

Hi all,

I was wondering if for the reading suggestions for Javascript we are supposed to buy the book “Javascript and Jquery” by John Duckett or should it be included for free as part of the syllabus?

Thanks in advance and merry christmas!

1 Like

hi there!

As far as I know, the reading suggestions for the book are just complementary reading. When I asked about it I was told that reading the book is just another way of reinforcing what was covered during the lesson, but not mandatory.

Think of it as another source of information. You can go ahead and keep practicing on Codecademy alone if you (like me) do not want to spend the money buying the book! :+1:

3 Likes

Hope you’re all well :slight_smile:,

I was told that reading the book is just another way of reinforcing what was covered during the lesson, but not mandatory.

Who told you? It’s confusing that there’s no clarity about this inside the course page.

Also, which parts here are compulsory, optional, or reccommended?

https://www.codecademy.com/paths/full-stack-engineer-career-path/tracks/fscp-javascript-syntax-part-i/modules/fscp-introduction-to-programming-with-javascript/external_resources/fecp-mdn-javascript.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

It is most definitely supplemental. There are also a lot of free resources out there that cover very similar information. However, I think it’s healthy to recommend using current books as a side reference. There is often more room for books to make side remarks on theory and paint a broader picture of the topic’s landscape.

I remember when they didn’t have these book recommendations, the material was the same (so it’s not like CC is offering less). I think of it more like, “consider looking into this if you want to understand this particular topic on a deeper level”.

It’s hard to generalize for what a user might want to be studying the topic for. One person might just want to know how to use React really well, another might want to know what’s under the hood and want to have the flexibility to use Vue/Angular/other frameworks, and yet others just want the bare minimum React knowledge to go with their backend knowledge. What is recommended I think is going to vary per user, if you’re not sure what you want, I think broader is better until you get a feel for your likes/dislikes, strengths/weaknesses.

@text3277184198 have a great day as well!

That was an awesome quick response :wink:. Have a great day!

Which parts should be read here?

https://www.codecademy.com/paths/full-stack-engineer-career-path/tracks/fscp-javascript-syntax-part-i/modules/fscp-introduction-to-programming-with-javascript/external_resources/fecp-mdn-javascript .

You can think of MDN as the manual to vanilla javascript. It’s probably upwards of 2,000 pages long. Just like many manuals, they’re meant to be comprehensive and serve as references instead of learning per se (it’d be like reading the dictionary).

Any time you have doubts as to how something works in javascript, or are experiencing unexpected behaviors in methods, the MDN docs are a solid place to check.

Wow, fascinating!