JavaScript link and external script

So when you have external script like official jquery linked to you html can you create a separate js file then link it to your html and write your code in there?Because i have tried it and did not worked, i think i have made mistake somewhere can someone explain to me how it can work.

Hi S09abcd,

Would you mind posting and formatting the code you tried?
(See how to format code here)

I tried but it wont let me because, i wrote it on my computer but it looks like this
Actual Html

<!DOCKTYPE html>

<html>

<head>
              <script type="text/javascript" src="jquery.js"></script>
              <script>
                  $(document).ready(function() {
                       alert("working");
                     });
           </head>
           <body>
           </body>
      </html>

The code above works perfectly but my question is can we make something.js file to write the jquery separately from the html beacuse i tried to link the html with something.js but it did not worked.
<link type="text/javascript" rel="javascript" href="something.js">
and i think there is a glitch in formatting code if the text is too close to the left border codes disapper i dont know maybe its just to me.

@s09abcd You're misspelling DOCTYPE on line 1, and you need to use <script src=""> to bring in an external JavaScript file. <link href=""> is mainly for CSS.

And the "glitch" with formatting is intended behavior. But thanks for pointing it out :)

well i tried without docktype which is just basic html, but let me try src="" thanks for replying.

i might just have missed it, but you forgot to close your script:

<script>
                  $(document).ready(function() {
                       alert("working");
                     });
missing </script> tag

To close your script, if your script is internal or external, doesn't matter, you need to close it

Actually i just typed that here because it wont let me to format the code for my indentation.But the jQuery is on .js file which don't need script tag.

Can we see your actual code? just used the backticks what zystvan explained earlier, then it doesn't matter how your code is indented

javascript file

html file

on line 5, make </Script> lowercase (<script>)
on line 6, you shouldn't use <link> to link to javascript files, you should used script for this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="index.js"></script>

the first screenshot, is index.js i assume? You do have a jquery-1.11.3.js file in the same directory as well?

Thanks it did worked i thought <link> is used to link any external file to html.

No, link is used to link to stylesheet. You can read about link on MDN

Thanks again learned something new today.

3 posts were split to a new topic: My JavaScript isn't working properly with my HTML