Jammming - Unresponsive Search button

Hello everyone, I had just reached step 95 on the Jamming project in the Full Stack/Front end skill path, however, I have reached an issue that I’m unable to resolve. The first one is that the search button at first did not return any results I then tried to add an “onClick” attribute to the button in the searchBar.js file which then returned an error.
App.js

import React from 'react'; import { SearchBar } from '../SearchBar/SearchBar'; import { SearchResults } from '../SearchResults/SearchResults'; import { Playlist } from '../Playlist/Playlist'; import './App.css'; import Spotify from '../../util/Spotify'; export default class App extends React.Component { constructor (props) { super(props); this.state = { searchResults: [], playlistName: 'My playlist1', playlistTracks:[], }; this.addTrack = this.addTrack.bind(this); this.removeTrack = this.removeTrack.bind(this) this.updatePlaylistName = this.updatePlaylistName.bind(this) this.savePlaylist = this.savePlaylist.bind(this); this.search = this.search.bind(this); } addTrack (track) { if (this.state.playlistTracks.find(playlistTrack => track.id === playlistTrack.id)) { return; } else { let playlistTracks = [...this.state.playlistTracks, track] this.setState( playlistTracks) } } removeTrack (track) { if (this.state.playlistTracks.find(playlistTrack => track.id === playlistTrack.id)){ const playlistTracks = this.state.playlistTracks.splice(track) this.setState({ playlistTracks }) } } updatePlaylistName (name) { this.setState( { playlistName: name } ) } savePlaylist () { let trackURIs = this.state.playlistTracks.map(playlistTrack => playlistTrack.uri) Spotify.savePlaylist(this.state.playlistName, trackURIs).then(() => { this.setState({ playlistName: 'New Playlist', playlistTracks: [] }) }) } search (searchTerm){ Spotify.search(searchTerm) .then((searchResults) => { this.setState({searchResults: searchResults}) }); } render() { return ( <div> <h1>Ja<span className="highlight">mmm</span>ing</h1> <div className="App"> <SearchBar onSearch={this.search} /> <div className="App-playlist"> <SearchResults searchResults={this.state.searchResults} onAdd={this.addTrack} /> <Playlist playlistName={this.state.playlistName} playlistTracks={this.state.playlistTracks} onRemove={this.removeTrack} onNameChange={this.updatePlaylistName} onSave={this.savePlaylist} /> </div> </div> </div> ) } }

Spotify.js

let userAccessToken ; const clientID = '0f1cc4ac9f46414d8c00196d8417fd63'; const redirectURI = 'http://localhost:3000/' const Spotify = { getAccessToken () { if (userAccessToken) { return userAccessToken ; } // check for an access token const userAccessTokenMatch = window.location.href.match(/access_token=([^&]*)/); const expiresInMatch = window.location.href.match(/expires_in=([^&*])/); if (userAccessTokenMatch && expiresInMatch) { userAccessToken = userAccessTokenMatch[1] const expiresIn = Number(expiresInMatch[1]) // This clears the parameters , allowing us to grab a new access token when it expires. window.setTimeout(() => userAccessToken = '',expiresIn * 1000); window.history.pushState('Access Token', null, '/'); } else { window.location = `https://accounts.4spotify.com/authorize?client_id=${clientID}&response_type=token&scope=playlist-modify-public&redirect_uri=${redirectURI}` } }, search (userSearchTerm) { fetch(`https://api.spotify.com/v1/search?type=track&q=${userSearchTerm}`,{ headers: { Authorization: `Bearer ${userAccessToken}` } }) .then((response) => { console.log(response) if (!response.ok){ throw Error('could not fetch the data for that resource') } return response.json(); }) .then((jsonResponse) => { if(!jsonResponse.tracks) { return []; } return jsonResponse.tracks.items.map(track => ({ id:track.id, name: track.name, artist: track.artist[0].name, album: track.album.name, uri: track.uri })); }) .catch((error) => { console.log(error.message); }) }, // Created method to save plaist unto Spotify using fetch() savePlaylist (playlistName,trackURIs) { if (!playlistName || trackURIs.length ) { return; } const accessToken = Spotify.getAccessToken(); const headers = { Authorization: `Bearer ${accessToken}`}; let usersID; fetch('https://api.spotify.com/v1/me', {headers: headers,}) .then((response) => { console.log(response) if (!response.ok){ throw Error('could not fetch the data for that resource') } response.json() }) .then(jsonResponse => { usersID = jsonResponse.id return fetch(`https://api.spotify.com/v1/users/${usersID}/playlists`, { header: headers, method: 'POST', body: JSON.stringify({name: playlistName }) }) }) .then((response) => { if (!response.ok){ throw Error('Could not fetch the data for that resource') } response.json() }) .then(jsonResponse => { const playlistID = jsonResponse.id; return fetch(`https://api.spotify.com/v1/users/${usersID}/playlist/${playlistID}/tracks`,{ headers: headers, method: 'POST', body: JSON.stringify({uris: trackURIs}) }); }) .catch((err) => { console.log(err.message); }) } } export default Spotify

SearchBar.js

import React from 'react'; import './SearchBar.css'; export class SearchBar extends React.Component { constructor(props) { super(props); this.search = this.search.bind(this) this.handleTermChange = this.handleTermChange.bind(this) } handleTermChange (e) { const handleTerm = e.target.value; this.setState({ searchTerm: handleTerm }); } search () { this.props.onSearch(this.state.searchTerm) } render () { return ( <div className="SearchBar"> <input placeholder="Enter A Song, Album, or Artist" onChange={this.handleTermChange} /> <button className="SearchButton" onClick={this.search}>SEARCH</button> </div> ) } };

SearchResults.js

import React from 'react'; import { Tracklist } from '../Tracklist/Tracklist'; import './SearchResults.css'; export class SearchResults extends React.Component { render () { return ( <div className="SearchResults"> <h2>Results</h2> <Tracklist tracks={this.props.searchResults} onAdd={this.props.onAdd} isRemoval={false} /> </div> ) } };

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
just to understand your problem: Does the search button not return anything at all or just not on first click (that would be expected, because the first click is needed to redirect the location in order to validate the access rights).
If it doesn’t respond at all, have you tried some consoles to find out where the problem is located? I would try the following:

• Add a console.log to the search method in App.js and log the searchTerm in order to see if the method is executed in the first place and if the searchTerm passed to it is valid.
  • Add a console.log to the search method in order to see if the query string you’re passing to the Spotify API is valid

This way you can play detective and spot the line where it goes wrong.

my apologies, I get an error :

Ok that means that the search method is executed and that you don’t get a valid result. Did you add the console.logs? If the error occurs after a console.log, the logs are still visible in the console. So you still learn from them what works and what doesn’t.

Thank you for the response. I console. logged the searchTerm, and it does get passed to the query string but I didn’t check for a valid result, once again thank you for the support

Hi! In SearchBar.js, you set the state of searchTerm, but I don’t believe the you even defined the state of searchTerm in the first place.

Try adding this to the constructor after line 7
this.state = {
searchTerm: ‘’
};

i’m not sure if that one thing will fix the problem, but give it a shot. Hope it helps!

• Bo
1 Like